Better View for Sharpening

glenn bradley

Despite good overall light in the shop there are always tasks that can benefit from some targeted assistance . . . and maybe some magnification. My small bandsaw stands in front of the bench grinder most of the time and is on wheels.
1-McLaren BS Stored.jpg
I have a magnifying lamp that is on a swing arm and is made to stand in a dog hole. Put a dog hole in the small bandsaw base.
2-McLaren BS Stored.jpg
I can easily position the bandsaw stand, lock the casters and swing the magnifier where I need it. You can see that I added a small LED light fixture under the upper cabinet as well.
3-McLaren BS Stored.jpg
Move the bandsaw cabinet over a little and I get a great view of the grinder as well.
4-McLaren BS Stored.jpg
It stores in the drawer unit that holds all my sharpening stuff when not in use.
5-McLaren BS Stored.jpg
That's one more off the list. I try to knock a few out between each project.

Those magnifiers come in handy. I've got one mounted on my shop desk/electronics workstation that I use all the time. Used to be flourescent, but swapped it out for an LED Last year sometime.

Those magnifiers come in handy. I've got one mounted on my shop desk/electronics workstation that I use all the time. Used to be flourescent, but swapped it out for an LED Last year sometime.
I've got one in my shop that the previous owner left, but the arm needs to be rehabbed so it'll stay in place. I'd also like to switch it over to LEDs. do you recall where you found the lights? It'd be handy on my guitar workbench.

They have gone up in price of course. But . . .

I have tried 3 or 4 others and this one seems the most friendly, bright, and clear.
Thanks. I'm going to look around a bit for an LED ring light that's the right size to replace the fluorescent ring that's in my existing magnifier.

Thanks. I'm going to look around a bit for an LED ring light that's the right size to replace the fluorescent ring that's in my existing magnifier.
I've got one in my shop that the previous owner left, but the arm needs to be rehabbed so it'll stay in place. I'd also like to switch it over to LEDs. do you recall where you found the lights? It'd be handy on my guitar workbench.

The one I got was on Amazon for 50 bucks.

I had the same thought as you converting the old one to led and bought this as well. 2 160mm 12 volt light rings. I never did it though. I just bought the other one. It actually has a better magnifying glass and was a little easier to use.