Friday 3Sep21

Dave Hoskins

Late getting online this morning. Had to replace the router with a new one I had on hand for emergencies. Going to the movie today to the the new Marvel movie. Shop time over the weekend. Who knows what else is gonna happen.

Not much on the agenda, I need to make sure the house is in order my sister and brother in law are coming on Monday for a week. Dean is interested in reloading and wants to see my setup. They also want to go down to Tombstone so well do that one day this week. I need to order some more enrollment kits for Medicare open enrollment which will start in a month.

Got our lawn mowed on Thursday, as per normal - set for the weekend!

Started my Friday with a trip to my doctor's office for monthly injections - B12 and T-shot. Then ran by the grocery to pick up spare ribs and a couple other meaty items. Bobbie and I will drive to Boston for shrimp and catfish shortly. After that, it'll be nap time!!

Saturday will be more work on our ceiling that was damaged from the water leak from our A/C system. The neighbors are having a get-together Saturday night for the UGA/Clemson game; he and other members of the family are grads and go crazy watching the games. I'm making smoky cheese dip for our contribution.

Sunday should be our normal routine of me preparing brunch, then chilling out the remainder of the day.

Ted, those look delicious. I love me some pepper-relish or jelly. I am still under house arrest . . . or so it feels . . . Doctor says things look great. I now have to spend only 30 minutes of every waking hour facing the floor. A few more days and I should be done with this part of the PT. I have watched more television (on a tablet laying on the floor) in the last week than I have so far this year :rofl:

Not much planned here for the weekend. LOML and I spent a couple of days this week up at my friend's cabin in the Pecos mountains, so we'll just be hanging at home for the next few days. It's time for the biennial emissions check on my 4Runner, so that'll probably happen today. Other than that, it looks like we'll just be doing a bit of yard work and chillin' around the house.

Ted, those look delicious. I love me some pepper-relish or jelly. I am still under house arrest . . . or so it feels . . . Doctor says things look great. I now have to spend only 30 minutes of every waking hour facing the floor. A few more days and I should be done with this part of the PT. I have watched more television (on a tablet laying on the floor) in the last week than I have so far this year :rofl:
Thanks Glenn! I feel your pain. Did the same face plant thing for a week when I had a detached retina. Scary getting those needles in your eye.

Just getting to the end - for now - of some major reorganizing. I need to put away a pile of wood that is in my shop. I don't store wood in my shop. I store wood in my wood shed. That shed needed some reorganizing in itself.

My friend in coming tomorrow and I think he wants to get his plaque started. Well at least I want that project going.

Sunday, I think I need to refine some settings in my machine. I may take a little time to do that.

I also need to edit a scallop shell program for a customer.

I also need to make some draw pulls.

I little more cleaning and put away of stuff.

Working a bit late. In shop tomorrow morning and riding in the afternoon and Sunday. Monday Jarrod and are heading down to VA to pickup a set of front doors and the customer said we can hunt Dove in there fields in the afternoon.

Bought a new Toro zero turn this summer. Just broke the 2nd belt last night. Putting the Oliver back together so I can pull the JD into the hole and pull the driver's platform off and fix a hydraulic hose on it. Oh, got to get the two big steers coming into the loading pen. Wednesday is their day and I am not chasing 1500 pound steers around!

I am batching it until Monday when the Missus comes home from her needlepoint symposium. I've got this weekend to clean up and make the house presentable. I also need to hide the evidence of all my girlfriends coming over. That will take about 30 seconds....or less.

Temperatures the past couple of days after Ida left our area have been wonderful. Today it didn't make it to 80 and I had a big time in the shop. I have been turning Japanese inspired sake and tea cups. I have been knocking them out in about 10 minutes. Of course they are small so it should not take long.

Most of the ones pictured are 2 ounce or less in capacity. The red one in the back is 3 ounces
Large group.jpg
An assemblage of ash, milo, walnut, bubinga, spalted beech, and curly maple. Many of the ash are dyed and limed with liming wax or metallic waxes.

Sycamore.jpg York Gum burl.jpg
Sycamore and York Gum Burl

Last edited:
Yard work...daily happening for me. Resetting a brick border that has settled over the years. Old street pavers are heavy!
Ran a tank of gas thru the chainsaw, too. Power line tree trimmers are coming soon, and 2 LARGE trees are coming down.
Yes, I have plenty of firewood.
Dave..doves you say, brings back many fine memories, most challenging, have fun.
Leo..do you have time to eat? ;)
stay safe

Last edited:
I took a day off work, loaded the flatbed with all the patio furniture and some outdoor stuff. Since my FIL is still in rehab after his ER visit I took my MIL with me to the farm and the trailer to store all the outdoor stuff there. She'll be staying for a week with Grandpa and her sisters. Next week I'll probably be taking the work trailer down, maybe bring her back if he is out of rehab.

Last visit to the farm I got the water softener working again, filled with salt again today. Changed out the water filter and took care of some pest control. My wife's uncle has someone with a back hoe to do some work on the driveway once we're down there and level a spot for the RV and probably a spot for the shop. We also chatted about a new septic system and best placement for the leach field, but will meet with his contractor for that as well when we're there.

I just got home a bit ago, so the rest of this weekend we need to get a new mattress for the RV (one that is comfortable, the old one went into the dumpster), then just packing all the "little stuff" that is still laying around. I have one more mowing (hopefully) before we close, then all the yard stuff can go to the farm with the work trailer.

Was scheduled to do my Farmers Market in Knoxville today... got half way there and the truck started acting up... decided not to risk getting into K'ville and have to be towed home.... will have to schedule a trip to mechanic next week.... I can raise the hood and point out the motor, that's about the extent of my automotive mechanical abilities.
Tomorrow I'm clerking at the local museum market place.... afterwards my son and daughter in law are coming over for dinner out.... haven't seen them in nearly a year, even though they only live about an hour and half away..
If it doesn't rain will try to do some yard work Monday..... after all it will be LABOR DAY.