Grizzly Lathe Recall

I think the G0462 was the number of the first lathe I had from them. Since have upgraded to the G0733. I ran that 462 for about 15 years with no trouble whatsoever. Good machine, but I was finally wearing it out. Love my 733.

I think the G0462 was the number of the first lathe I had from them. Since have upgraded to the G0733. I ran that 462 for about 15 years with no trouble whatsoever. Good machine, but I was finally wearing it out. Love my 733.
Gearing up to move closer to my son after the LOML massed .... not thinking of moving my JET 1442 due to size, weight and limitations of a U-haul... was looking at possible replacements and thinking the G733 might be a good fit. it's bigger than my Jet and looks close to what son has with his JET1642....

Gearing up to move closer to my son after the LOML massed .... not thinking of moving my JET 1442 due to size, weight and limitations of a U-haul... was looking at possible replacements and thinking the G733 might be a good fit. it's bigger than my Jet and looks close to what son has with his JET1642....
You'll enjoy having the electronic speed control. :thumb:

The 733 is an extremely well built machine. Just keep in mind one thing. Grizzly, Jet, Powermatic, and some others are all made on the same factory floor in Taiwan. I think the company is called the Burt Group or something like that.

You'll enjoy having the electronic speed control. :thumb:
EVS is great but not necessary for everyone. My skills never improved beyond moderate. I never turned anything on my G0632 that I couldn't have turned on my original Reeves drive. The irony is I sold my Reeves drive to a professional turner. A first time lathe buyer needs to consider carefully if spending the extra money is necessary.

EVS is great but not necessary for everyone. My skills never improved beyond moderate. I never turned anything on my G0632 that I couldn't have turned on my original Reeves drive. The irony is I sold my Reeves drive to a professional turner. A first time lathe buyer needs to consider carefully if spending the extra money is necessary.
Some of my favorite turnings were done on my Craftsman Reeves drive lathe, and it was a good machine to learn on. But I enjoy having the EVS and I suspect Chuck will too, if he decides to go that route.

Primary point of thought is I've rebuilt the Reeves drive on my lathe about 5 or 6 times, including 3 new spindles and I don't know how many belts... plus the weight of the lathe plus the cabinet I built under neath with a box of rocks under that to add weight to the lathe. My son has a JET1642 with EVS and loves it... plus I have on one or two occasions used that same lathe when my friend had it before he sold it to son.... I had the money back in 2008 to have bought the same model of the lather, but because I wanted the rotating headstock, went one step down.... now the headstock has rusted in place and no longer rotates. Also at the time, my shop was set up differently and sliding the headstock to the end of the ways as you would have to do on the 1642 wasn't an option... have learned better and smarter way to set up the shop.... we';; see.... likely will depend on what I get for my place in TN when I move to NC.

Knowing you've rebuilt your Reeves drive a number of times was the first thing I thought of when I mentioned you'd enjoy the EVS. ;) My first full-sized lathe (the Craftsman) had the rotating headstock but I found I didn't like turning that way. (The tool rest was way too bouncy.) My Powermatic has the sliding headstock (and a dropped extension bed) and that's been handy for turning huge bowls, but I found huge bowls were hard to sell because nobody has room to store one, and very few have room to display one.

Last edited:
Talking about huge bowls, I quit turning one over 14". Don't hardly ever sell. And, I rarely turn one at 14". Most folks seem to want 10-12" bowls which is fine with me. You'll love the EVS. I rebuilt the Reeves drive on my old Grizzly 3 times and that was enough. Pain in the butt.

I used mine several years with no issues. Musta been lucky.
As I recall you were turning mostly smaller diameter spindle projects, which tends to put less stress on the drive than larger diameter stuff like bowls. Also I think those of use who've rebuilt our Reeves drives multiple times (like Dave, Chuck, and me) were putting more hours per month on our lathes than a lot of people.

As I recall you were turning mostly smaller diameter spindle projects, which tends to put less stress on the drive than larger diameter stuff like bowls. Also I think those of use who've rebuilt our Reeves drives multiple times (like Dave, Chuck, and me) were putting more hours per month on our lathes than a lot of people.
Have to admit, the extra power when I upgraded to an EVS was really nice.

Talking about huge bowls, I quit turning one over 14". Don't hardly ever sell. And, I rarely turn one at 14". Most folks seem to want 10-12" bowls which is fine with me. You'll love the EVS. I rebuilt the Reeves drive on my old Grizzly 3 times and that was enough. Pain in the butt.
I can agree about the customer size / selection. I have several segment turned bowls in a local gallery . Couple of them are in the 14 inch range this is one of them.
Those large bowls are not moving however I have several in the 8 to 10 inch range and the gallery has sold 4 of the smaller bowls in the last 4 months.
I think Dave is right on.
calabrese55BOWL 55-20 (26).JPG