I may have saved a friend's life Wednesday

Charles Lent

Staff member
I had met with a friend and his wife for lunch on Wednesday. I was there and seated a few minutes before them and when they arrived, he was acting a bit drowsy, like he had just woke up. His speaking was slightly garbled, and I at first considered that he maybe did just wake up, since the restaurant was only a few miles from his home and mine, but in opposite directions. He had a bit of difficulty reading and deciding what he wanted on the menu, but I wasn't yet concerned about him.

In the 10 or so minutes that we waited for our meals, he seemed to be getting more tired and was cradling his head in his hands with his elbows against the table. Our meals arrived, and he was still talking, but his words were becoming more garbled. I handed him his fork and told him that he needed to eat more and talk less. He couldn't take the fork from my reached out hand and he was going into short periods where he wasn't responding at all to me.

In my earlier life of 40+ years ago I was an EMT II (Emergency Medical Technician) on a fire company rescue squad and studying to be a Paramedic. This training told me that my friend was having a stroke, although I was only seeing a few indications of it in him. I told his wife that he needed medical attention, not using the "stroke" word so as not to alarm her, but she wanted to take him home and wanted me to help her get him out to his truck so she could drive him home. I told her that he really needed medical help and that I wasn't going to be able to get him to the truck. I said that we needed to get him to the hospital and that the ambulance crew could move him (200 lbs) far better than us. She decided that I was right, so I had the waitress get the restaurant manager to call for the ambulance, while I was trying to keep my friend as awake as possible and not falling out of the chair. The hospital is only 2 miles from the restaurant and the ambulance must have been close by as well, because they and the fire department first responders all showed up at the same time. They transported him to the hospital and he was treated quickly.

At 1 AM the following morning (Thursday) my friend called me on his cell phone to ask me what happened to him and why/ which hospital is he in. His voice was clear and no longer garbled, and he was suddenly realizing that about 12 hours of his life was missing from his memory. I explained what had happened to him and said that he sounded like he was his old self again. He is still in the hospital, but I had another cell phone conversation with him this morning. He said that he feels great and is wondering why they are still running tests on him. He said that he still doesn't remember anything about going to the restaurant and the hospital, but did remember getting into his truck to go to the restaurant. Then nothing at all after that until he awoke in the hospital room with all kinds of IV hoses and monitors attached to him. This is when he called me at 1 AM.

Though he wasn't showing enough signs to fully convince me that he was having a stroke, his wife wasn't believing that anything at all was wrong with him. How he managed to drive to the restaurant with her is a bit of a surprise to me, considering how rapidly he was deteriorating. He was in the ER getting treated in less than an hour. Stroke victims can usually be saved if they get treated within the first two hours of their showing signs of a stroke, and most will survive with no loss of their body functions and be back to living full lives again. Unfortunately very few people, and none of the victims of a stroke, recognize it when it happens. He would likely have died if she had taken him home. My 40 + year old training saved someone, again.

A good indication of someone having a stroke is to ask them to stick their tongue straight out at you (I couldn't get him to do this for me). If it is significantly curved to one side or the other, they seem unreasonably tired, and/or their speaking is a bit slurred, they need help. There are other signs to, but these seem to be the most immediately obvious signs from my experience.

Charley

Good on you Charley for not only recognizing a problem but insisting to his wife that it may be serious. I hope your friend fully recovers and is able to go to lunch with you again sometime soon.

Wish you were closer I have been through it twice and both times, because I am stubborn I did not get to the hospital as quickly as I should have.. Like your friend I made a good recovery with minor impairments. The problem is although I do not like being a worrier, but every time I get a little pain or something in the head, I think is this another stroke... Always wondering when the next one will hit. May never.

I'm OK with relocating this to the correct forum, although he IS a woodworker. Guess I didn't say that in my first post on this.

Well, they decided that his problem wasn't actually a stroke, but a significantly reduced amount of blood supply to his brain. He is OK for now, but I suspect that he'll need some kind of surgery, possibly to his neck arteries to repair this. The stroke shot, whatever it is, did get him past his problem though. I had said that the symptoms that I was seeing weren't quite like a stroke, but they were enough to convince me that he needed medical help quick.

Charley

I'm OK with relocating this to the correct forum, although he IS a woodworker. Guess I didn't say that in my first post on this.
Regardless of his avocation, the discussion isn't a general woodworking question or answer. ;) I wish your friend the best as he and the docs find a permanent solution to his issues.

Last edited:
While we're talking about it,

If you think someone may be having a stroke, act F.A.S.T. and do the following test:

F—Face: Ask the person to smile. Does one side of the face droop?

A—Arms: Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?

S—Speech: Ask the person to repeat a simple phrase. Is the speech slurred or strange?

T—Time: If you see any of these signs, call 9-1-1 right away.

Heres a link for more information. Stroke Symptoms

F - Face He looked tired, but relatively normal with no facial droop (the confusing part).
A - Arms He reached for the fork that I was handing him, but he reached past it to his right with right hand.
S - Speech He was talking, but hard to understand, garbled. I couldn't get him to stick his tongue out.
T - Time When he couldn't grab the fork that I was holding out I was convinced that he needed help, but spent about 10 minutes convincing his wife that we needed an ambulance for him and getting the restaurant manager to call them for me, while I continued to deal with his wife. It was only a few minutes more when the fire co. first responders and the ambulance arrived. Our emergency response system dispatches paid firemen and volunteers along with an ambulance with at least 2 Paramedics to every "Man Down" kind of call. Motor Vehicle Accidents have an additional fire engine or two that respond as well. This is a city with paid full time members of both the First Responders and Paramedics.

In NY State where I lived before moving here, both the fire and ambulance were fully volunteer with no paid staff at all in the township where I came from, but we seemed to arrive at emergencies like this, almost as fast anyway. The call log when I left was averaging about 460 calls a year for fire and rescue/ambulance combined, and Holstein cows came up to my back fence there. I moved to the edge of the city when I moved here. No cows or farms for miles.

Yes, I was trained to recognize strokes with FAST. Everyone should know it.

Charley