Monkey Puzzle Bowl

Dave Hoskins

Told ya, Jay! Photos were coming. Actually finished this up yesterday afternoon. Not the happiest in the world with the photos. Still playing around with exactly where to take them at. That's one thing I did not think about until after I finished this bowl. Does that rate a Darwin Award? The diameter is 6" with a height of 3 1/4". The depth is 3" with a volume of 3 cups. Sealed with two coats of walnut oil. Finishing was done with walnut oil based wax from Mike Mahoney. Each coat of wax was allowed to dry and harden for 24 hours. Then buffed before the next coat.

Attachments

• BLMKZ1.JPG
    BLMKZ1.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 14
  • BLMKZ1A.JPG
    BLMKZ1A.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 14
  • BLMKZ1B.JPG
    BLMKZ1B.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 16
  • BLMKZ1C.JPG
    BLMKZ1C.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 16
  • BLMKZ1D.JPG
    BLMKZ1D.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 16
  • BLMKZ1E.JPG
    BLMKZ1E.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 15
  • BLMKZ1F.JPG
    BLMKZ1F.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 15
  • BLMKZ1G.JPG
    BLMKZ1G.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 16
Yeah, Mike. Definitely soft. Burred up a lot during turning like cottonwood or hackberry does. To get rid of the burring used walnut oil to soak the piece with and then wet sanded it using the oil. Worked good. I usually would have used BLO instead of the walnut oil, but had no idea where the can of it was right then. :rofl:

That is quite the looking bowl, striking is I think the term!

I wonder if this would get translucent like NIP with the turned thin and saturation technique... Might be interesting to try with an offcut to see.

Nice one, Dave. I like Mahoney's utility oil and used it a lot before I bought a gallon of Doctor's Woodshop oil. I think they're pretty much the same kind of thing.

Ted, I've used both Mahoney's and Doctors oils. I prefer Mahoney's as It felt a bit thicker to me and saturated and spread better. I talked to the guy once at Doctor's and he seemed certainly nice enough and knowledgeable. But when you talk to Mike Mahoney, as I have a few times, you just become convinced that his stuff is a bit better. And, during a thread many moons ago the statement was made," Who are you going to believe. A chemist or a world renowned wood turner?" Mike Mahoney's walnut oil based wax is first rate as well. IMHO