UPS Power for 3d printer

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
We have a storm coming through today and I've been printing up various tools for "Luthier" experiments.

Had a 2 day print the other day I was surprised made it through without failing. With the wind coming in I'm sure that we're going to have some power blips that could screw things up.

Fortunately, I have this old UPS laying around that I just replaced the batteries in last week. It uses 4 of the UB1280 batteries wired up to provide 48 volts before it gets converted to 120v. Each of those is 8ah.

I'm not sure how long it will run a 3d printer for, but hopefully long enough for the typical blip, or for me to get the generator running.

With the batteries and all, this is one heavy unit for sure.

1677001686809.png

Years ago I picked up a couple of free worn-out UPSes at the office where I worked, but I never got around to sourcing and replacing the batteries. They were heavy suckers and I got tired of moving them around so I got rid of them. (It was not long after I broke my back and moving heavy stuff was literally a pain.) Kinda wish I'd hung onto them even though I don't really have much need for them right now.

Just ran the calcs. They say a 3d printer really only uses about 150 watts of power. At that level, this ups should run the printer for over an hour.

I'm mildly surprised you don't have one of those little plug in meters or at least a clamp on ampmeter :D

I'd have to guess that 80% of the printers power goes to the bed heater, and 15% of the remainder is the head heater with the residue being the steppers. Probably not a lot of ways to save that a lot (an enclosure likely helps a little).

I'm mildly surprised you don't have one of those little plug in meters or at least a clamp on ampmeter :D

I'd have to guess that 80% of the printers power goes to the bed heater, and 15% of the remainder is the head heater with the residue being the steppers. Probably not a lot of ways to save that a lot (an enclosure likely helps a little).
LOL, I do, just didn't think of it before I started a print. I'll put one on next print.