what is best glue to secure plastic to wood

allen levine

im going to melt down assorted bottle caps, and other types of cheap plastic and want to flatten it out and glue it to a piece of wood. any suggestions on type of adhesive? it has to be easily available, nothing that I need to have a chemistry degree, oh wait, I am a chemist, but I lost my chemistry set, so Id rather purchase it in a bottle

the website suggest household goop.....so Ill purchase the smallest, at ace its 8.99, I will melt down some plastic....and do a sample piece to see how it adheres. a problem I will have potentially, is that the plastics are all different types, and I dont know the difference betweens plastics as they dont label caps or other things Im collecting. I wont go on or order anything for the projecvt until I see how well the plastic bonds to wood.

Yeah, Goop would be another good choice. It's similar (or perhaps the same) as Shoe Goo, which is pretty tenacious stuff.

I don't have anywhere enough plastic but decided to try a small piece
Melt down an alligator bag of plastic caps and eventually I will have thousands of these small vape catridges
It's insulin and I use anywhere from 100-150 a month so they will be a part of it

It melted ok seems different plastics melt at different temps but if I had a putty knife it would have all scraped off easily enough off pan
Being I saw I didn't have enough to do anything with I'll do another attempt when I save up enough plastic for one more try
After that it's either wait for a ton of plastic or abandon this stupid idea

I didn't swirl the melted plastic nor did I add any coloring
I need it to get more into a liquid state and then scrape and flatten

Attachments

• IMG_3465.jpeg
    IMG_3465.jpeg
    627.9 KB · Views: 17
I'm going to build a small wooden tray with a top that fits in snug
Line the wooden box(mold) with parchment paper and pour the melted plastic into box
Turning and pressing a few times to get out bubbles of air
Then clamp down top to form a flat block and when I get that far I'll sand and attempt to glue to wood
Only then will I then build bigger mold for bigger piece

Allen said: "plastics are all different types"

Amen, Bro. There are some that simply will not take glueing of any kind. Delrin is one I have tried. Sometimes a thick acetone/plexiglas solution will do it. But, experiment first.

Didn't go any better today
Might abandon melting plastic idea
Had a small mold but again didn't melt enough plastic
Maybe it isn't as bad as i think
Got plastic in one oven and this pizza in other oven

Attachments

• IMG_3466.jpeg
    IMG_3466.jpeg
    439.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3467.jpeg
    IMG_3467.jpeg
    541.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
If you're looking for a simple adhesive to stick melted plastic to wood, I'd recommend good ol' epoxy. It's easy to find in a bottle, and it should do the job well. Plus, no need to break out the chemistry set – just follow the instructions on the label.

i havent given up, even though the melting is going to be a massive chore, since I need alot of plastic...anyway...the small piece I got yesterday, I worked over with the sander, just to see if sanding is possible.
I went to get goop, it didnt say anything about plastic, so I ended up with loctite 2 part epoxy. and investment of 7 bucks, and thats all Im willing to invest on this project if I dont get acceptable results. I laminated it to a piece of plywood,
before I try plastic wax, I might try some auto compound to see if it works on this plastic, then try some polish

the melted down and resolidified plastic is very hard. I hit it several times with a hammer to see if it would crack.....did not. I could not bend it at all. thats the only good side I got out of this.

if I decided not worth pursuing I might purchase a trashed cheapo electric guitar for next to nothing, just to take off the pieces, and perhaps make a wall hangar in the end.

no harm in trying first.

I have alot of oak and sapele, so if I do proceed, the guitar will be made of those 2 laminated together. (maybe maple)