Xtreme Garage - Adjustable Workbench Frame Kit

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
My current reloading bench has become quite crowded and this winter my dad picked up a couple of used Dillon presses from other residents in their retirement park, which he wants to set-up in my shop (darned the bad luck ;) )
2018-04-30 21.38.47.jpg

So in an attempt to save time, I thought I may try out one of these metal frame benches ($75) to replace my existing wood reloading bench.
2018-04-30 22.31.48.jpg

In appearance it looks good, but given the weight rating and the weight of the box, I should have known better. It's solid side to side, but the front to back direction it wobbles quite easily. So I'l be adding some cross braces to remedy this.
2018-04-30 22.31.28.jpg 2018-04-30 22.31.39.jpg

I split a piece of 3/4" ply down the middle and doubled it up for the top. I'll be putting a piece of masonite over this to smooth things out with a hardwood edge.

Overall, it's usable, only took me about 20 minutes to assemble, the bracing will be an easy fix, and it should serve its purpose.

Yep, some angle braces should stiffen it up. One big "X" across the back?

I may be mounting the back of it to the wall actually, side to side it doesn't have any movement, but since the presses will be mounted to the front, mounting it to the wall should take care of any movement and keep the table from toppling over from the weight of the presses and the arms being pulled.

The test will be how much movement you get when the arms are being pulled. I really like the red arm chair. Is that for good chi and meditation?:D:thumb::thumb:

The test will be how much movement you get when the arms are being pulled. I really like the red arm chair. Is that for good chi and meditation?:D:thumb::thumb:
Lol, my rocker project that got stalled by buying a used rocker to fill in for it. It may see some progress this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I think the wall-mount idea is right on the money. It should definitely put an end to that wobbling nonsense. :)

I'm surprised that there was any movement in the first place. Maybe it's simply not "Xtreme" enough for your garage. :D

I think the wall-mount idea is right on the money. It should definitely put an end to that wobbling nonsense. :)

I'm surprised that there was any movement in the first place. Maybe it's simply not "Xtreme" enough for your garage. :D

Ha, maybe not. The legs are channels not square tubing, also is only about 18 gauge metal.

Cool bench. You got me thinking about whether i go ply or steel.

I picked up my steel legs kit today. Hope to get a steel top for it to mount my lathe on it before our move. But now i got to do some procrastination. lol.

Just for fits a and giggles whats the metal size on that kit.?

Cool bench. You got me thinking about whether i go ply or steel.

I picked up my steel legs kit today. Hope to get a steel top for it to mount my lathe on it before our move. But now i got to do some procrastination. lol.

Just for fits a and giggles whats the metal size on that kit.?

About 18 gauge, not very strong, but suitable to the purpose.

let's see if I understand. You bought a bench, then will remake the top and legs, and really like the original bench. Maybe I missed something in the several benches I have built in my shop.

let's see if I understand. You bought a bench, then will remake the top and legs, and really like the original bench. Maybe I missed something in the several benches I have built in my shop.
Lol, no, no, nope. Never said I liked the first bench, this was just a bench kit I picked up in the interest of saving time that you supply the top for. The old bench is about 4' long, the new one is 8'. Not sure I'd recommend this kit at least for the purposes I need it for, but am making it work.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

I got the old bench and the stained glass storage cabinet moved out today and the new bench in place. I ended up drilling and driving some 3" screws into each stud behind the bench through the top/back support of the bench, it's pretty stable now.
2018-05-19 22.01.48.jpg

Now the question came down to spacing the presses and if I really wanted to have them permanently mounted. Unfortunately, most of the mounting bolts also require drilling through the metal frame of the bench and a few bolts aren't in exactly the preferred places. I did a little googling on quick mounts for the presses, but didn't find anything that would work for all. Then I came across this idea...
44a678b2f3850fb986432fd5c20938b1--reloading-room-reloading-bench-ideas.jpg

This would actually work great as I could slide presses out of the way when I needed to use the bench for other purposes. I also have a few vises that I bought specifically for gunsmithing and checkering that I could mount on some of these quick plates to use when needed. I've got some track and star handles on order, should be here this week. Will just plan on routing some 3/4" x 3/8" grooves for the t-track and be in business. :thumb: