English Workbench

I may be in the minority here, but I think straight clear Douglas Fir can make a fine bench top. My maternal grandfather made all of his benches out it, and they have out live him by quite a bit.

You could make a good solid top with DF, then put a replaceable layer of Tempered fiber board on it :dunno: (I think they might call it "Masonite")

I've seen that work rather well.

Cheers!

I am in the process of designing a bench but alas I have groung to a halt as it were. The top has me stopped. I have read and agree that the top should be made from Beech, Maple, Oak or some other hard wood. The problem is $$$$ and lack of availability where I live. Believe it or not I live 14 miles south of Olympia Wa and there are no hardwood retailers that I can find. (still looking) The cost from outside the area is too much for my limited pocketbook. Doug Fir is plentiful, reasonable but soft. In this case would any of you recommend a finished surface?
Any other suggestions? Thanks
Mike, when I lived in the greater Seattle area, I had good luck getting hardwood from Dunn Lumber. They have several locations in and around Seattle. For instance, I know that there is one in Renton.

Frank and Larry,
The screw I used for the leg vise was the Lee Valley Tail Vise Screw #70G01.52 for $39. It was very easy to install. I first cut the mortise in the leg for the parallel guide and drilled a 2" hole for the screw. Then I took the blank for the vise and cut a through mortise in it. Next was to cut the tenon on the guide and drill the staggered holes for the pin. I just used a large philips screwdriver for the pin. After glueing and wedging the guide into the vise I fit the guide into the leg and clamped it down. Then I used the forstner bit that I drilled the screw hole to mark the location of the hole in the vise. After that I was able to use the leg and apron to mark out the final shape of the vise. It really was a straight forward process.

Don
Thanks for the information Don. Could I bother you to take a couple of close-up views of just the leg vise and it's workings and post them here?

Leg Vise

Frank,
I will try to get a couple of pictures today. I have been meaning to take a couple of the underside anyway. I forgot to do that while I was building it.
Don

Bench Top

Mike,
I have been very pleased with the yellow pine for the top. Of course, I don't really have any experience with a hardwood bench to compare it to. I have been thinking about someday getting some 1x maple or beech and laying it on top. That might be an option to save some money for you.
Don

Frank,
I will try to get a couple of pictures today. I have been meaning to take a couple of the underside anyway. I forgot to do that while I was building it.
Don

Don, I would sure appreciate some pictures of the wagon vise while you at it. I assume you built it as Christopher Schwarz did.

Wagon Vise

Bill, I will get you a couple of pictures soon. I did build it as Chris described in the book, however when I sent him a brief note and picture of the finished bench he recomended a slight change. Instead of the 5/8" dowels he modified his to have 5/8" runners set into grooves in the side of the vise. He left the supports the same. He said that it works a lot more smoothly now. I haven't tried that yet but I probably will soon.
Don

Vise Pictures

Alright here are the promised photos.
1. The leg vise from the end of the bench.
2. Leg Vise from the front
3. Leg Vise screw from the inside of the leg. In hindsight I should have turned the tapped piece around so that it is housed inside the leg.
4. Leg vise parallel guide. I just used a large screwdriver for the peg. I am going to turn a new handle for it soon.
5. The wagon vise from the end
6. The Wagon vise from above.
7. Wagon vise end cap
8. Wagon vise from below.

The hardware for the wagon vise came from Lee Valley. It is actually listed as a Shoulder Vise.
Don

Attachments

• Leg Vise 1.jpg
    Leg Vise 1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Leg Vise 2.jpg
    Leg Vise 2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Leg Vise 3.jpg
    Leg Vise 3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 29
  • Leg Vise 4.jpg
    Leg Vise 4.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Wagon Vise 1.jpg
    Wagon Vise 1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Wagon Vise 2.jpg
    Wagon Vise 2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Wagon Vise 3.jpg
    Wagon Vise 3.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Wagon Vise 4.jpg
    Wagon Vise 4.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for the pictures Don, it looks great! Hope you give us some feedback later after you use it for a while. Also keep us informed if you make any changes and why. I know I would be interested in how time and use changes your view of the bench.