And so it begins

Man I hope that even though it is a new handle design, it is tested. Would hate to hear of any of your customers having a handle come off during a wedding toast or something like that!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:;)

Today's adventures.
Pic one chucked up the sanding hone and got real friendly with it.
2,3,4, and 5 Are if you ever wondered what the inside of a nova chuck looks like. It has been sticking lately so I took it apart and cleaned the guides and jaws.
6 doing a bit of bending just to keep from going stir crazy doing nothing but sanding.
7 Some shop made drawer pulls. Rob if you want to give these a try rip some strips to 3/16" wrap it in a damp towel. Put the towel in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds. Take out of the towel and clamp immediately. Let stand until cool. ( these are staying in the vice till tomorrow) remove from clamp and install.

Attachments

• tn_mug11 001.JPG
    tn_mug11 001.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 75
  • tn_mug11 007.JPG
    tn_mug11 007.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 82
  • tn_mug11 006.JPG
    tn_mug11 006.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 82
  • tn_mug11 005.JPG
    tn_mug11 005.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 73
  • tn_mug11 004.JPG
    tn_mug11 004.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 75
  • tn_mug11 003.JPG
    tn_mug11 003.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 78
  • tn_mug11 002.JPG
    tn_mug11 002.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Thanks for the draw pull tip Chuck. Next time i will ask you before i make something. Your approach sure would have been a lot quicker and safer than what i made.

I will give it a try though always wondered about how to bend em quickly like that. :thumb:

Right now there are a few other things i would like to put in a vice and bend but that would be highly illegal and then i would be doing shop behind bars:rofl::rofl::rofl:

doing shop behind bars:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I know a guy that is doing just that.:thumb:
Kinda bunches up my panties when your trying to make a living and find out your losing jobs to inmates. All though they still will need the cabinets installed.:dunno::dunno: I'm pretty sure he's not on work release so maybe I can get that job?:dunno::dunno::rofl:

Just more sanding and bending today:thumb:
We are on the finish sand on the mug body. Next stop bottoms.
First pic the sanding operation. Now that I have done the grits to 100 I have taken the hone out of the head stock and put it in the tail stock. That way 150 runs while I do the out side sanding till I get to 150 than I move the tail stock out.
Pic two is of the drawer pull installed.

Attachments

• tn_mug13 002.JPG
    tn_mug13 002.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 50
  • tn_mug13 001.JPG
    tn_mug13 001.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Well still sanding. In between mugs I have managed to get the handles done. Now they need sanding.:doh: Last count there is 138 good handles out of the forms 28 in the forms and 30 something in the I might be able to save it box. Over all I put well over 300 blanks into the steam box so there was about a 50% loss in the bending of them. After a spell I got so I could tell if one wasn't gonna make it just looking at it. But they where cut so ya got to try right:thumb:
My thoughts about bending. When you select your stock make sure you use a piece with nice straight grain. I have read that bending is all about the heat. But have found that with the MC in the radius I was doing is more important. A dry nice straight grained one at 212 degrees would snap just as fast as one that had grain running out the face. Once the wood is MC is back up to 20% ish(didn't check it) at 212 it bends like a noodle. Temp is also key I would have 10 or so in the box I could do 2 or 3 then would have to give it a few minutes to bring the temp back up from opening the box. Once a piece is cool it can come out of the form.

Still sanding :eek: I am down to 33 left to do. Started putting first coat finish on today With any luck I'll finish up the last 33 tomorrow just in time to start sanding finish:thumb::doh::rofl:

Brent, my order has been in for quite some time! Dad always said, "you snooze you loose!!!" Actually, quite the opportunity, we ordered mugs for the kid's to use at their wedding for their toasts. KaLea developed a beautiful image based on an idea and it is getting engraved on the mugs. Then each member of the wedding party gets to keep their mug as a gift. (yep, remembered to order one for my wife and I!!!!!) So yep, anyone wanting some, I don't see these sitting on shelves collecting dust!!!

Brent, my order has been in for quite some time! Dad always said, "you snooze you loose!!!" Actually, quite the opportunity, we ordered mugs for the kid's to use at their wedding for their toasts. KaLea developed a beautiful image based on an idea and it is getting engraved on the mugs. Then each member of the wedding party gets to keep their mug as a gift. (yep, remembered to order one for my wife and I!!!!!) So yep, anyone wanting some, I don't see these sitting on shelves collecting dust!!!

Shoot you got your order in at the point where it was just go start them from the beginning:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
And ya know if your gonna start one ya miles well start 50:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I just gave ya one of Jon's mugs way back when. Notice the top ones so far out in front of the rest of the pack in the process.:thumb:
And this is still what is going on:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• tn_mug13 002.JPG
    tn_mug13 002.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
The light at the end of the sanding tunnel has been turned on. Really I can see it.:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Here is a pic of said light just to prove it is on.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• tn_mug11 002.JPG
    tn_mug11 002.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited: