Plans for the July 4th weekend?

Jeff Bower

So what are you all doing for the long weekend? :dunno:

I hope to spend most of the 4th at the lathe. Then I have to work at Woodsmith on Sat. but we are heading north with friends to the Woman Lake area of MN. Never been there, but our friend's family has a cabin up there and they invited us to stay for the following week. We will be coming home on Tuesday, not much vacation left. Not looking forward to the almost 7hr drive, but haven't been out of town for quite some time....should be relaxing. Boating, grilling and adult beverages for all...well not for our daughter or there twin boy and girl.

Anybody else ever been in that area?

Last edited:
I took off the entire week with no other goal than to whittle down the number of unfinished projects and honey-do's on a very long list.

So far I have reset the door latch on the front door, replaced the kitchen widow including some siding and trim (will finish up this afternoon), trimmed out 2 door frames, putting the finish on a third, replaced 3 ceiling lights, installed one door lock set..... And it's only Tuesday!!!:eek:

Still to go - shampoo carpets - sand, paint, and caulk trim in the den - replace all my sprinkler vales along with the digging involved - run 30' of PVC pipe underground to the curb for the pool backwash line - build and install a new out feed table on my TS - touch up all the trim on the house - paint the inside of the front and back doors we replaced about 4 years ago - and a few other items to fill in my spare time. Oh, and at least a half day at church cleaning out and organizing our little workshop/tool storage area.

For those (like me:D) who might say, "no pictures, didn't happen"... here's some of the proof:wave:
DSC_2502.jpg DSC_2505.jpg DSC_2503.jpg DSC_2504 (600 x 399).jpg DSC_2506.jpg

Wow Rennie...your busy now and for the next few days...Satisfaciton in just around the corner when you finish that last item on the list....oh but then you have the fence, the kitchen, the......:rofl::D.....the same saga for me too.

Wow Rennie...your busy now and for the next few days...Satisfaciton in just around the corner when you finish that last item on the list....oh but then you have the fence, the kitchen, the......:rofl::D.....the same saga for me too.
It is indeed a very long list.

We put the fence on hold till next year and the Kitchen is out at least another year beyond that (however, the window replacement was a precursor for the kitchen remodel). We decided that we would replace the carpet this year with hardwood or laminate. That will happen when I take my next vacation week - Labor Day!:D

Bring lots of bug spray. Bumper crop of mosquitoes this year. Other than that, beautiful area. Don't know what roads you are taking, but stay away from 35W. Last weekend it was closed from 494 north for bridge work.

I am not going to be that busy but have a few things to get done. I am on vacation this week. My wife and I took a 4 day trip up to Door County, Wi for our 30th anni. Had a good time. Did some hiking, shopping, and of course eating. We were out hiking and a rain came up, it had some hard water in it too. The hail was about pea sized and covered about 30-40% of the ground. We were a couple of drenched rats but oh well. We had our saturday shower minus the soap. We did see some very interesting things and a couple of great sunsets.

I have to hang around most of the time and police my tiny cottage.
Seems my daughter decided to invite her roomies from Buffalo over for a few days, so Ill have to play ok, youve all had enough, give me all the keys to the cars, dont come home from the poolhall too late, give me all the keys to the cars, dont stay outside in the yard too late, 3 am the neighbors get upset, and so on.

My wife returned after 3 weeks visiting family in Denver, Houston and Long Beach. She and her Mom are here for 10 days and then they'll return to Illinois. My wife will spend a couple of weeks there with her Mom. 4th of July, we visit my grandchildren in Goldendale, WA. My oldest grandson, an 3rd Class Petty Officer in the USN will be there after returning from his first cruise aboard the USS Harry S. Truman. He and his Dad will be racing in the annual 4th of July demolition derby. Our granddaughter will be there with her son, our greatgrandson. It will be a family get-together. When my wife and MIL return to Illinois, they will have seen every member of our family.

Well, we have the local (Dallas) dog shows here this weekend. LOML shows Thursday while I'm at work, then we show Friday and Sunday. Beyond that, I'm not sure. Maybe rest a lot. I have a problem with the sprinkler system, (yes another one :rolleyes:) I need to deal with. It works great when first turned on, then slowly drops to a trickle. I think I have some moss build up where my intake is sitting, but not sure how to get rid of that. Need another quick disconnect for it that I can re-aim the intake pipe to get away from the moss maybe. We'll see. Have a great weekend, and Happy Birthday America!!! Jim.

Hoping to get the walls done, and possibly install windows in the shop. If I can free up some cash after that, I'm thinking of starting the insulation project, couple rolls at a time. If no cash, then I'll work on cleaning up the top of my tablesaw.

If things continue the way they have for the past couple of weeks, I suspect I'll be working through the weekend. :(

I really hate it when the lack of planning and coordination by others ends up causing me an emergency.
exploding.gif

Well I am off Wednesday, throught the weekend.

I am home to babysit a new HVAC install. ( Pictures and details later. ) That is supposed to take a day and a half. So I hope to get some time in the shop.

I really need to get the cyclone install finished. I just need to get some 6" straight pipe and I can start the process.

If all else fails, I am will make a box using my box cutter jig and some of that wood haul that I got a few weeks ago. I plan to make several since I have the wood to do it and learn as I go.

LOML and I rarely do anything on holidays, too many people everywhere.

I did find that I have 160 hours of vacation time so we really need to plan a real vacation.

And yes I know it is 3:52 AM !!! Got kicked out of bedroom for snoring !!! Things happen when you get old... LOML suffers from severe hot flashes which wake her several times a night and me snoring was just too much tonight.

So here I am with my other family..

God Bless and have a safe and wonderful July 4th weekend.

Stu, what time is it in Japan ???

My youngest son sent a bottle of Johnny Walker black, one of gold and a bottle of Crown Royal so I may spend the weekend compairing. I guess they had a sale at the NEX in San Diego. Hopefully I will get some turning time.

Bartee, if you want to stop by I have about 30' of 6" duct you can have. It shouldn't take more than 23 hours each way.

My youngest son sent a bottle of Johnny Walker black, one of gold and a bottle of Crown Royal so I may spend the weekend compairing. I guess they had a sale at the NEX in San Diego. Hopefully I will get some turning time.

My friend I'm heading north with has a bottle of JW ready to go and his friend Glen, Levit that is.

Well, I'm no Steve Ash.....

...but I think my window turned out OK. When we moved in there was a 'greenhouse' window in this spot an they had butchered the framing in order to make it match the height of the counter top. So, I had to beef up the framing first an then figure out how to trim it out. The outside was easy - just went down to HD and picked up some new siding. The inside was another story.

First of all, I'm cheap - so buying a full 4 x 8 sheet of green board for a 6" x 36" piece was out of the question. :rofl: Besides, getting the finish to match would have been a bear. Our kitchen has no back splash and getting the sheet rock to match up an duplicating the knock-down surface is something I did not want to even start. On top of that - I really don't like not having a waterproof back splash. So, I took some scrap 1/2" MDF and got creative. I think it turned out OK and it will work just fine until we rip it all out in a few years when we redo the kitchen.:D All that's left to do is fill the nail holes.
DSC_2512 (532 x 800).jpg DSC_2513 (800 x 532).jpg
Now, there' still a few dozen items left on that honey-do list!:eek::rofl:

I started the weekend a day early by heading 3 hours south to pick up our new camper and bring it home. The rest of the weekend will be spent preparing that for our next trip and working on a cabinet for the kitchen that will go above the stove where we took out a full-height wooden range hood and are putting in a microwave.

On call this weekend, but lots of shop time still....:thumb:

Working on kitchen cabs and a birdhouse....:rofl: is that 2 different things or what...:dunno:

Happy 4th everyone!

Jimmy