drink alot of water and then some!

allen levine

Ive been putting in long hours in the garage.
Banging out chairs, tables, boxes, been working on shelves to hold some junk, and in the heat, I constantly drink water out there, cause at 85 degrees and 75% humidity, its kinda warm.
I came in yesterday around 3:30 to change and deliver a few things, and I suffered from horrible cramping.It got so bad I got cramps up my lower back and couldnt move for several hours. I felt a bit lightheaded, nauseated, and although I wasnt "right", the cramping and back was basically horrible.
I went to the doctor today, and he just told me I was not drinking enough fluids.
If I come into the house to cool off every couple of hours and my shirt feels like Ive been swimming, hes says thats a good sign I need to drink alot more, well, along those lines.

Told me to take a day or two off, not go outside and work.
(so I spent 20 minutes this morning finishing the paint on one table and cut out some plywood for 5 minutes.)
This is what Im reduced to since I wasnt feeling 100% today,
Fence toppers, or at least Ill try my hand at cartoon characters and painting, but it keeps me busy.
Gotta keep drinking if you work in a non air conditioned place and put 8-10 hours a day in.

Attachments

• wood stuff 011 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 011 (Medium).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 71
hmmmmm, at the risk of boring everyone to death...you hit a hot button with me. i've sufferred from vasal/vagal syncope for a while. that means i can get faint from either a low heart rate or a drop in blood pressure. after i actually fainted onto the floor of the gym while exercising on a tread mill i saw my cardiologist. he told me to double the amount of water i drink.

i thought i was drinking enough water but he said double it. so i've been downing a number of bottles of water each day since then. i had been keeping track of the syncope episodes and they were occuring maybe every two or three months. it's been almost two years since that episode and they've disappeared. yeh...great news but the reason is, i guess, my blood volume was boderline low and now i'm flushed (pun intended) with adequate fluids. so it's good for you...do it.

It was much better today, not as humid, but I spent most of the day indoors.
Ive suffered from herniated discs and such, but this was a pretty intense type of pain.
I cant recommend strongly enough everyone keeps hydrated if they work in the constant heat and humidity.
Ofcourse, the biggest problem is that its hard to face the facts Im not 22 y/o anymore.

I hope you recover from this permanently. I helped a friend pour a concrete patio about 25 years ago on a 95 degree day with high humidity. I got way too hot that day and I can't stand hot, humid work anymore. My Dr. told me that was probably what lead to my kidney stone episodes. We did drink a lot that day--but we didn't know that we should have been drinking water instead of Pepsi.

Allen,
I live up here in RI & with the humidity I drink anywhere from 1 to 1-1/2 gallons of water at work cause I'm outside in the sun all day usually 8-9 hrs walking.
(I'm a Mailman) you have to be very careful for heat exhaustion / stroke it can kill you. Say every 2 hrs take a break for at least 15 minutes to cool down it helps a lot.

CHuck

I agree, we should drink plenty of water with this heat.
But you already was drinking water....

Sure sounds like you may have had a kidney stone to me.
If your urine was dark or red, that would almost be a sure sign.
Just something to keep in mind.

I know , I use to get about a dozen a year!
After years of suffering and a few trips to the hospital for morphine,
I finally found out what was causing them..

It was Tea and Ice Tea !!!!
I stopped drinking both from the advice of an
endocrinologist and I very rarely get them any more!

Be well ... Dave

Last edited:
Ive been putting in long hours in the garage.
Banging out chairs, tables, boxes, been working on shelves to hold some junk, and in the heat, I constantly drink water out there, cause at 85 degrees and 75% humidity, its kinda warm.........

85 degrees.... sounds like air conditioning to me. Oooooh to have some cool weather like that:D:wave:
Whenever I come in to take a break, I just change clothes. Sunday the temp got to 98, heat index was higher. Fridge is always stocked with water and gator fluid.
The LOML came out and told me to come in, she don't have to tell me twice!
Ted

my wife has relatives in houston, with humidity at ridiculous numbers and heat, I dont know how people manage to work outdoors.
It was upper 80s today, but no humidity, quite a difference, actually nice outside.

my wife has relatives in houston, with humidity at ridiculous numbers and heat, I dont know how people manage to work outdoors.
It was upper 80s today, but no humidity, quite a difference, actually nice outside.

I've worked down here in South Texas all my life, and one thing I've learned is water alone just doesn't cut it. In a high heat and humidity environment you have to drink large amounts of gatorade type drinks to cope. Your body is just sweating away to much salt for water to suffice.

Brad