Thread: Just getting into turning. My first bowl.

Just getting into turning. My first bowl.

Hey folks. I just got me a lathe in the last couple of weeks and just got going with it. I have turned a few pens at my local Woodcraft and then I turned a couple of tool handles and that is about it.

I have really wanted to turn a bowl and this last Sunday afternoon had to time. I did not have any material for the job so started digging around my yard to see what I could come up with. I then remembered a friend of mine dropped off a pretty large mesquite limb for the BBQ. It was dry so I cut a chunk off and mounted a face plate and went to work. It was pretty knotty and checked and I was really scared it would come apart but was able to soak it with CA and get it done.

It is about 5 3/4 inches at the top about 2 1/4 inches at the bottom and about 2 inches high. Finished with Watco. Sorry about the cruddy photos I need to work on that a bit.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Alan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bowl pic 1.jpg   bowl pic 2.jpg   bowl pic 3.jpg   bowl pic 4.jpg  

Well Alan, is this is your first bowl, than I'll wait for the second.
    Boy this is professional work, hatt off for you.
    Keep them coming!
    Ad

Alan, welcome. You are hooked I can tell. Really nice work for the first time. We are going to want to see more of the same.

Great looking bowl for your first. They get easier with everyone you do.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hey Alan, looks great, keep that one, in a year, it will be really fun to look back at it!

The wood looks fine, the cracks and checks make it more "interesting", besides, it certainly looks like it will hold a few scoops of ice cream, so what else matters
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Very nice Alan, especially for a first. Now you see why we're all hooked on this stuff.

What lathe did you get?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Great job Alan.

I'm no expert at wood turning but turning those knots must have been very scary! At least it would have been to me!.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Alan,
    Looks great make sure you keep it & you'll be able to see how far you have come with your turning ability after 1 year.

Chuck

Thanks for the compliments. It was pretty scary to turn. When I roughed out the bowl and saw how checked it was, and every once in a while I would get a catch with the bowl gouge I decided to try to reinforce the checks and knots with the CA. I was sure I was going to throw it on the floor or blow it up. I finished the hollowing/thinning of the bowl wall with a nice sharp scraper and skew chisel. I think I learned some lessons making it. Things I want to try and things I was doing wrong. I guess it is all a learning process.

Sadly I have to go out of town for 5 days for a family reunion and will not get to turn for a while. However on the plus side I found a place where I am going that seems to have some awesome exotic burl bowl and pen blanks. I think I will have to ship home several USPS Flatt Rate Boxes. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks, Again

Alan