Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Toothpick Holder Video

A Toothpick Holder Video

At the last FEWS meeting we had, a buddy of mine, Sugita San, came by to watch, he brought his video camera with him and took some video.

He is a graphic designer by trade, so I would expect his videos to better than mine, but man are they EVER better than mine

I put it up >> HERE << you can go take a look see

He had never seen anyone turn before, and he knows next to nothing about turning, so in his video, he offers no commentary, or such, and he may have edited out some critical parts, but you still get to see me turn, in all my glory on of the toothpick holders

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

That is great Stu!
    You buddy did a great job on the video also.
    Is that a special kind of marker you used on the finial? How did your audience like the demo? Very Cool!
    "Small Change got rained on with his own 38"

Tom Waits

Thanks Pete.

Everything went well, each and every "Jam Chuck" I did on that piece I got on the first go round, perfect

We all had a great time, spent the day, from 8:30 AM until about 4:30 PM

One of the other guys demoed how to make the closed end pens, very neat. Then we just turned a lot of stuff, I gave a demo of the Ci1 tool as well, all were impressed with that too. I got out some larger chunks of wood that had cracks or bad knots in it, stuff that would not be really worth turning, and we just practiced, some of the members, are still at a beginner's level, even though they have owned a lathe for years. It was a blast.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu,

Both were great. Thanks for sharing.
    Gordon

Thanks Gordon!

Pete, sorry, I did not answer you question about the marker, it is a "Paint Marker" works well, but not nearly as well as the Japanese calligraphy pen I usually use. That pen uses water and ground up charcoal, so it is blacker than night but, it takes a LONG time to dry.

Most of the guys at the meeting thought the finals were some kind of exotic hardwood, and were surprised to hear they were just Maple
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks Stu look forward to seeing more. Love all the video work you do. Thanks I know it takes a lot of time. Have learned a lot. Thanks Bruce
    Always like learning something new!

You are welcome Bruce, but this one, all I did was upload it to YouTube, my buddy, Sugita san did the video work
    William Arthur Ward

Very nice video Stu. Thanks for sharing.
    Looks so easy, and it is. Only it would take me more time, to do it on my lathe. Faceplate you know, but even with using a faceplate, and some attachments, you can do it.
    Would be very handy having a chuck, think I have to work on that.
    Heard a nice music and some conversation I could not understand, but it was a big fun watching this video.
    Ad

Great video Stu! Hey, what sort of marker was that you used for the finial? Looked like it worked pretty slick.

Yes Ad, a chuck or three are really nice to have

Barry, that marker is kind of a paint parker, the "ink" is thicker than a Sharpie, and much more like paint.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward