Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Pig Tail Flipper

Tokyo Japan

A Pig Tail Flipper

I got two of these kits from Craft Supplies, Greg brought them over from the states when he came to visit, but then I got put in the hospital for the leg infection, so I've not had a chance to get these done.

I got this wood from my deer hunting buddy, the same guy, and his family are going to Canada with us in a few weeks here. The original thread I posted is >> HERE << about the wood.

Attachment 21940
    I started out with a copper straight coupling, I cut it in half and then undercut the on edge, to seat into the handle better, when I pound it on.

Attachment 21941
    I then mounted the piece, it is about 4cm square (1 1/2") and is about 10" long.

Attachment 21942
    I got the basic shape roughed out

Attachment 21943
    I then went to work making the tenon to mount the copper ferrel on

Attachment 21944
    After a few tries, I got it to fit snug!

Attachment 21945
    I finished shaping the handle

Attachment 21946
    I sanded through to #1200, then put several coats of sanding sealer on it.

Attachment 21947
    I will put 8 to 10 coats of rattle can lacquer on it too.

Attachment 21948
    This is the business end, supposed to be really good for flipping things like steaks etc.

This wood, rosewood, is a bit chippy, and sure is open grained, but in the end it worked out well, and the handle is sure nice looking. While turning this wood, boy is the smell every spicy.

I'll be giving this to another buddy this weekend, we are going to his house (on base) for a day of fun and to light up the BBQ and give this thing a test drive.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    That looks neat. I have seen those before but didn't know what they were called. Great job and a great gift.

I'll be darn....pig tails used for woodworking....

My pigs got a tail, but it don't flip, it curls......pig makes for good pork steaks too.

Sorry Stu, I just couldn't resist
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Goodland, Kansas
    Good looking piece Stu. I have one and use it a lot cooking on the BBQ.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I hear a July 4th party in the making!

Nice piece, Stu. So chippy and open grained? Rosewood seems to be held on such a pedestal by a lot of people. I've never worked with it; I have a carved elephant that an Indian friend gave me. Man is it ever heavy. I imagine it would sink if immersed in water. It appears to be pretty closed grain, but it could be filler, or a different species. Whatever mine is, if yours is anything similar, it'll make a GREAT long-term handle-heavy and durable!

Central CA
    That's flippin' awesome Stu.

Very nicely done.
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

Lake City, Florida
    Looking Good Stu ... I made one for my son for fathers day and he uses it all the time (he loves to cook outdoors). Got a couple more but have not had time to make the handles yet.

Tony, BCE '75

ABQ NM
    Looks good, Stu. I've got a is relatively lightweight, with a wooden handle. (Bought it years before I had a lathe.) The other one is very stout and thick, with a hexagonal aluminum handle. The aluminum-handled one is my go-to flipper.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Tokyo Japan
    We are heading out to visit my buddy and his family tomorrow, we plan some grilling, chilling and even a few adult beverages

I got a box made up to hold the Pig Tail Flipper.........

Attachment 22034 Attachment 22035

Nothing special, just a plywood box, but it should keep the PTF in good condition longer.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Great job Stu.

We don't use those here though!. In fact this one is the first I've ever seen.
    We use a sort of long tweezers.
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...