Vista, a threat to the forum?

Frank Fusco

Since going with Vista a few days ago I'm still trying to get acquainted with all its various quirks. Not bad. Some things I don't like but, as with all the previous versions of Windows (I started with 3.11) I'm sure I will get used to it. But, there is one 'quirk' that may, or may not, be of concern to forum administrators. Namely, I no longer have to log in. I am staying logged in even though I shut down my computer at night. This is true with one other forum also. Not true with yet another and not true with Yahoo. Doesn't bother me. And, I don't know that it is a problem but am only bringing this to the attention of the true geeks that run this place in case it constitutes some kind of security risk for the forum.

Not a geek, but I think you can tell Vista not to remember passwords and then you would have to enter it each time. For the record, my XP Pro machine at work also logs me in directly without asking for the password.

Frank

Its more likely that on your old machine you had some routine (anti-spam, spayware remover etc???) that was clearing out the cookies stored on your machine. If the cookie isn't deleted then many sites will just keep you logged in. Others, ebay is definitely one and I think that yahoo is as well, "expire" their cookies after a given time period, often a day or so. The new behaviour you are seeing is not specific to vista but is an artefact of the change in your routine.

Frank

Its more likely that on your old machine you had some routine (anti-spam, spayware remover etc???) that was clearing out the cookies stored on your machine. If the cookie isn't deleted then many sites will just keep you logged in. Others, ebay is definitely one and I think that yahoo is as well, "expire" their cookies after a given time period, often a day or so. The new behaviour you are seeing is not specific to vista but is an artefact of the change in your routine.

OK, I do have whatever cookie cleaners come with Vista and I set my browser options to delete on shut down. In addition, I use Windows Washer which cleans everything not needed. If it's not a problem here, I won't worry about it.

OK, I do have whatever cookie cleaners come with Vista and I set my browser options to delete on shut down. In addition, I use Windows Washer which cleans everything not needed. If it's not a problem here, I won't worry about it.

Frank,
Is this because of paranoia, or what?

My XP machines (3) all keep me logged in to the forum, regardless of shutdowns. I figure that, as long as they are 'personal use only' machines, there's no problem - in fact, it's preferable.

This forum, and Canadian WW are the only two that work that way. I'm assuming it has to do with the way VBulletin works.

I'm with Jim. I don't understand the paranoia about cookies. The "threat" of cookies has only opened up a market for companies preying on the uninitiated. People get all worked up trying to rid their machine of something they don't understand.

Frank, your browser under Vista is being normal. Things like Windows Washer and other utilities of their ilk can often cause as many problems as they claim to solve.

And no, your browser remembering your forum login in is not a threat to the forum. ;)

Frank,

It's not vista en soi, it's your browser settings. I wouldn't worry about it... but if you want, you can go in and change them.

Along the same lines, you may wish to download firefox and use that instead, if you haven't already done so...

Thanks,

Bill

Since going with Vista a few days ago I'm still trying to get acquainted with all its various quirks. Not bad. Some things I don't like but, as with all the previous versions of Windows (I started with 3.11) I'm sure I will get used to it. But, there is one 'quirk' that may, or may not, be of concern to forum administrators. Namely, I no longer have to log in. I am staying logged in even though I shut down my computer at night. This is true with one other forum also. Not true with yet another and not true with Yahoo. Doesn't bother me. And, I don't know that it is a problem but am only bringing this to the attention of the true geeks that run this place in case it constitutes some kind of security risk for the forum.

What makes you think your still logged in after you shut the computer down?
I think once your shut down, your "link" is null and void, until you re-establish your internet connection again. IMO
Ted

I don't "think" it. My name is still there and I'm still logged in.

Yeah, but it's inactive. The cookie on your computer just automatically reactivates it whenever you go to the site. Totally harmless, unless somebody else is using your computer and posting bogus messages masquerading as you.

The only way to tell whether the site thinks you're still logged on is to go to a different computer, log on as 'guest', and see if you're in the 'currently active users' list on the main page. FWIW, I don't see your name there at the moment.

(I don't know what Vaughn has the auto-logoff timer set to, but I expect it's only an hour or so after the last access.)

I don't "think" it. My name is still there and I'm still logged in.

Frank,
Here is a screen shot of me logged on (my green light is on), and you are not logged in (your green light is off).

Your also not in the Current active users list. Hope this eases your mind a bit.
(It might be a bad pic but you get the idea.)

Later,
Ted

Attachments

• FRANK YOU THERE.jpg
    FRANK YOU THERE.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 10
  • FRANK YOU THERE2.jpg
    FRANK YOU THERE2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 4