Thread: New set of shop pictures.

New set of shop pictures.

I have been working in the basement for 2 days installing a new HVAC ( watch for that thread in construction ).

Here is a plan I made trying to figure out where to put the cyclone

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShopFull.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	21967

So I decided to take a set of pictures that really showed the whole shop and how it fits together.

So here they are:

Along one wall I have mostly movable machines.

Name:	IMG_2429.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	21958 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2430.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	21959

The 6" belts sander was a gift from a friend. It's 220v and he did not have it available. It's very old and a great machine.

The Laguna HD16 has been wonderful. It's 220v and a 4 1/2 hp motor. It has the trimaster blade which does an excellent resaw.

The drill press just got moved to it's new base. Here's the album.

Next down the line is my Norm like router table. I love this machine. Every time I use it I find more value in it as a tool.

Here's the album on it's build.

Painting all of the wall's white, REALLY helped with the feel of the shop. The shop feels like a place I want to be not just a basement with block walls.

This picture shows the tablesaw, it's base and some of the outfeed table. You can also see my "finishing" area.

Name:	IMG_2431.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	21960

Here's another view of the tablesaw, showing it's relationship to the bandsaw wall. On the far left of the 2nd pic you can see the beginning of the new battery stable.

Name:	IMG_2435.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	21964 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2437.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	21965

Next is the tool wall. This is one of the 1st things I did. I was just starting to use a table saw again after many years. So I thought it would be fun to craeat tool holders screwed to a sheet of plywood. This has been very use full and satisfing ( I really do not like pegboard ). But I do like clamps. Never can have enough. I find that I use most them in some way or another.

Name:	IMG_2432.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	21961

Here's my workbench. It was like the 2nd project. This is all 2x4's and kreg pockethole screws. I got a 7" vise installed. It has served me very well. Somewhere on my list is a real workbench, but for now this works very well.

Name:	IMG_2434.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	21963

Next up is the cutoff saw bench and the storage above. This has evolved. I really like the yellow bins. This also holds my mortise machines and my new WorkSharp. The chargers recently got moved to the bandsaw wall where I am creating a new world for all of the batteries in my life.

Name:	IMG_2433.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	21962

The jointer has a home on the end of the bandsaw. This has been a GREAT investment. It has the spiral cutters, which just work!!!

Name:	IMG_2438.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	21966

So that's my shops as of July 2008. It does keep changing.

The next big project is to actually pipe the cyclone. I have most of the parts for that.

Also working on finishing the table for my daughter.

Great looking space and the table build was excellent.
    Seldom Wrong, but never in doubt!!
    My Blog: The Saw Dust Pile

Good use of space. Seems well organized too.
    What can you tell me about the tubular light fixtures in the first picture. They look like they don't collect as much dust as my conventional florescent fixtures.
    Are they home made or purchased?

Jim,

Very observant.

I don't like florescent lighting for machines. I also like a lot of light ( getting older)

Here ya go...

Name:	10KB.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	21976

I found these at the Rockler site but found a much cheaper source here
    They are listed under lighting | indoor lighting | shop lights if the link does not work perfectly ( http://www.hardwareworld.com ). These are 300watt halogen lights. That's 2 150w halogen blubs in each light. They also have the 600w version which I assume is 2 300w bulbs.

I also have 2 of these over the table saw. The 2nd picture shows them. They are hung offset to each other to avoid shadows.

Your work bench picture reminds me I need to start thinking about a nice workbench for myself.
    Last edited by Bartee Lamar; 07-04-2008 at 12:02 PM.

Nice setup, Bartee. I'm envious of your bandsaw.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Wow, Bartee! Great shop! Thanks for the tour. I'm ashamed to even post pictures of mine!

Thanks,

Bill

it always impresses me when you guys post pics of all the work bench/tabletop areas of the shops, and the tops are so clean and unscuffed.
    I use plywood, cause I drip stain, paint, sometimes drill into it, slam it with a hammer now and then, scrape it, chip it, and if I need a nice smooth service, Ill put down a half sheet of mdf or 1/4 inch hardboard.......I just change the plywood every year, and start destroying it over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartee Lamar View Post
    Jim,

Very observant.

I don't like florescent lighting for machines. I also like a lot of light ( getting older)

Here ya go...

Name:	10KB.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	21976

I found these at the Rockler site but found a much cheaper source here
    They are listed under lighting | indoor lighting | shop lights if the link does not work perfectly ( http://www.hardwareworld.com ). These are 300watt halogen lights. That's 2 150w halogen blubs in each light. They also have the 600w version which I assume is 2 300w bulbs.

I also have 2 of these over the table saw. The 2nd picture shows them. They are hung offset to each other to avoid shadows.

Your work bench picture reminds me I need to start thinking about a nice workbench for myself.
    These lights being halogen, how much heat do they generate? In the winter, heat would be good, in the summer in Alabama, not good.
    They look to be about 48" long, is that correct? I didn't see the length mentioned on the website.
    Seldom Wrong, but never in doubt!!
    My Blog: The Saw Dust Pile