First picture.

John Ryan

well I've plucked up the courage to finally post a picture.
This is a skeleton clock made with sycamore and padauk, the sycamore was from a tree taken down for a new road to come in to town. I have a couple of bowls for the boy's who were cutting the trees down. Got to keep in with these boys.

clock.jpg

sorry about the pic quality, this will get better.

John, love your design, it's really a beautiful clock.
I made several table clocks for myself and for my children.
The first table clock I made was in 2003 for our livingroom, 450mm in height.
All of pine. Was a big fun. One of my favorite turnings

Attachments

• table clock height450 grenen.jpg
    table clock height450 grenen.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 32
Wow John, that's an awesome clock. :clap: Any details about how you did it?

(BTW, nobody should be hesitant to post pics here...we have the whole range of experience, and all of us are still learning.)

Great looking clock. Well done and I love the contrasting woods. I build grandfather clocks. I have built and sold 5 and am in the process of doing mine.
Bernie, when you say you built grandfather clocks, do you mean you build the mechanism of wood, or do you mean you build the clock housing (the case)? If you make the mechanism, I'd love to hear more about how you make the gears.

Mike

Bernie, when you say you built grandfather clocks, do you mean you build the mechanism of wood, or do you mean you build the clock housing (the case)? If you make the mechanism, I'd love to hear more about how you make the gears.

Mike

I have some plans for making a wooden clock. Basically it amounts to a lot of scroll saw work if I remember correctly. Haven't worked myself up to tackle it yet, but it may be fun!

John, that is really a cool looking clock! Please don't hesitate to post your pics!!!

John, I have to agree with you, your picture quality is not the best, that will improve I'm sure,:) but the quality of the clock, WOW, that is one nice piece of work, I'm sure anyone here would be proud to have that sitting on their mantel :thumb:

Keep posting them pics, well worth the effort, and if you can, I'd like to hear a bit more about how you make a clock like that, looks like a combination of turning and flatwork.

Cheers!

Courage you say? You shouldn't have kept that for yourself for so long, it is a proof that many other things can be done on a lathe apart from bowls and vases.

Great work, :thumb:and lookg forward to see more from you.

Thanks for posting!

Vaughn and Stuart. All the parts for the clock were made on the lathe.

The sycamore blank was 820mmx50mm. First it was put between center's
and trued up on the side and one face a tenon is then turned on the trued face and fitted into the chuck the other face is then trued up. Measure in 19mm from edge on the face side and start to part in with 1/4ins parting tool, this should leave a 6mm ring. When 3/4s of the way through shape the outside of this ring with a bevel. Now part in from the side 25mm from the front face to give a ring 6mm by 19mm before going right through bevel top edge of ring then sand from 120 to 240 grit and sanding seal. Complete part off but mind and catch the ring ( I did not catch mine in time :doh:) this caused the design to be altered to a cradle. After doing ring true up side, mark front with 140mm and 145mm. On the 140 mm mark use gouge or parting tool to go in 3/4 way now go too 145mm mark and using parting tool go in 13mm sand edge just made. Using parting tool part of clock body.

Using 146mm jam chuck reverse blank to complete turning. Thin blank to 38mm, clean 140mm hole with gouge and sand. Another small recess is needed at 154mm going 2mm deep. Now complete bevel shape for the outside of clock.

Base is 150mmx70mmx30mm with a hole drilled through for a screw chuck a gentle curve is made on the top and then it is turned over to do the bottom sand and finish base with sanding sealer and soft wax.

Line up ring and clock body to leave 6mm gap then mark for the 6mm holes to be drilled. Pegs are made from a 150mmx19mmx19mm shaft is made 6mm and the rest of the design is ball and seat. A seat for the cradle is made in the base with a chisel. All parts are then waxed and then the clock is assembled. Ca glue was used to glue the pegs, and 2 no 4 screws 13mm long to hold the cradle to the base along with wood glue.
Sorry I don't have pictures and that this is long winded. ;);):wave::wave:
clock with mesurments.jpg

John,

No worries about the long winded post. It's great and I want to try one myself now. Just one question. Is the clock works only available in Britain?

I really like your clock, and the samples shown on the website. You not only do good wood work, but you do good tutorials too. Keep them coming and more pictures too.

Aloha, Tony

Tony: Thank you for your comments sometimes I think that I go on a bit.
I believe that Meantime Design deliver outside UK but I will call them tomorrow and get an answer for you and will post it tomorrow.:):)

Hi! Tony: Meantime will deliver to Hawaii, they have given me some example prices for carriage to USA. For one clock with 1 month delivery it would be clock £17.99 ($35.57)+ delivery £9 ($18), for 2 week delivery £21 ($41.50).
These prices are approximate. I was unable with a search of the web to find these clocks in the USA. Hope this information helps you, if you do make one please post a picture. Happy turning.:):)

John:wave::wave: