Spalted Maple and Cherry Bowls

Jon Lanier

I got a couple more bowls done. The first one is another spalted Maple that is about 8" in diameter. This will be another birthday present for the wife this coming Monday. 3 coats of Tung Oil with some Carnuba buffing.

The other one is a dark Cherry about 6 inches in diameter. This is finished with first coating of Walnut Oil, and then my food safe wax mixture.

spalted1frontyd8.jpg

spalted1backum9.jpg

cherrynatural1atq7.jpg

cherrynatural1ls5.jpg

Very nice work on both bowls. I particularly like the edge on the cherry bowl. The spalting on the maple is pretty wild!!

cheers eh?

Jon,
I came back to take another look at your spalted maple.... it is breath taking.. I have a couple I've done and at every show, it's usually the first that gets picked up. Mine has a few worm holes and they fascinate people. Mine isn't as nice as yours.

Jon,
I came back to take another look at your spalted maple.... it is breath taking.. I have a couple I've done and at every show, it's usually the first that gets picked up. Mine has a few worm holes and they fascinate people. Mine isn't as nice as yours.

Thanks everyone.

Chuck,
I'd like to take credit for the bowl, but God's handi-work is really at hand. With this spalted stuff... I just try not to get in the way of the wood/pattern. I think simple is best... either that, or I try to use as much as I possibly can from the piece that I have.... just so that I can get as much of the 'design in wood' to be seen.

-Jon