Woodworking, Machinists and Murder...

I told you a few months ago that murder was on the rise in Maine. Heck we have had 17 murders so far this year...and its only 6 months into the year...that's well above our yearly average.

Of course when I wrote that I had no way of knowing I would know the 17th accused murderer here (Presumed innocent until proven guilty that is). You see back when I worked for Lie Nielsen I worked with a fellow machinist named Steve. He worked in the block plane group right along with me. Several days a week I would give him a ride home because he did not have a license and I drove by his house on the way home.

He was a pretty good guy, liked his fermented grain a bit too much, but so do a lot of people. Well yesterday I heard that a man from Hope was arrested for murder. I kind of thought to myself "I wonder if it was Steve" as he was the only guy I know from there. I almost fell on the floor in shock when it was. He apparently got drunk, was fooling around with a girl and got mad when she made fun of his ex-girlfriend. By his own admission he thumped her with a frying pan and stabbed her to death.

Man it just goes to show you never know anyone as well as you thought you do. Kind of freaky for me. Never thought the guy riding back and forth to work would be arrested for murder a year later.

http://bangornews.com/news/t/midcoast.aspx?articleid=166678&zoneid=179

Just goes to show what a bit too much of the fermented stuff can do to you,

The nicest guys can become the meanest drunks.
I gave up serious drinking long ago, even though I'm the silly drunk :eek: I've found it much more entertaining to be the designated driver :D

Seeing the "17 murders this year" figure made me realize some of the contrast between where you live and where I live. A month or so ago, we had 17 murders in one weekend here in the Los Angeles area. That was higher than usual...the gang-bangers were working overtime that weekend. :rolleyes: LA is going to be a great place to have moved from one of these days.

Just goes to show ya....

Alcohol and frying pans do not mix...

Well.. Alcohol and anything really do not mix...

You Can Ask ME How I Know That YCAMHIKT.....

24 years... www.celebraterecovery.com

I was lucky a frying pan and knife were not close on several occasions... A fifth of Tequila will do strange things to you.........

I am today, a very lucky, blessed guy... I get to freely post on boards like this...

We don't have many murders in our area. Mebbe one every two years. Those that do happen are strangely motivated. A retired guy killed his wife for her SS checks, chopped her up and put parts into five ice chests then threw those in the lake. Four were found. A wealthy heiress was shot through a window. Perpetrator never found. A local, well liked, doctor was brutally stabbed and slashed in his home. Killer has never been named. His wife is now running around with her stepson, the doctors son. Her first husband died under equally bizarre circumstances. But, going back in history to the days of moonshiners vs. revenoors, that's a whole different story. :eek:

Seeing the "17 murders this year" figure made me realize some of the contrast between where you live and where I live. A month or so ago, we had 17 murders in one weekend here in the Los Angeles area. That was higher than usual...the gang-bangers were working overtime that weekend. :rolleyes: LA is going to be a great place to have moved from one of these days.

Its not any better on this side either. Maybe somewhere in the middle.

I've had the unfortunate experience of knowing and/or working with three now convicted child molestors. :(

The people you know may not really be the people you know. Sigh.

Well for us this trend is not good. Up until last year we had the lowest crime rate in the country. Maine had the lowest crime rate of all 50 states and Waldo County had the lowest crime rate in the state...hence making us a pretty good place to live. Last year some county in New Hampshire edged us out, and this year doesn't look good for us either. (Though this fellow Lie Nielsen worker murder was outside my county)

As a snowmobiler I am TWICE as likely to die from a snowmobiling accident then I am from being murdered, at least in most years. This year looks like I am on an even keel statistically. That is what makes knowing a co-worker/murderer quite the shock. Its just not very likely...

I've had the unfortunate experience of knowing and/or working with three now convicted child molestors. :(

The people you know may not really be the people you know. Sigh.

Or related too...

I don't like to talk about this, but my adopted brother who is 22 just got convicted of Sexual Assault of a Child under the age of 14. Not only did he get this girl pregnant, he is also her Uncle. (This is with his biological niece not Alyson just to clarify things)

Now I am not defending him in any way here, but we got him from his birth parents because his Dad really "liked" him and his brother at age 7. Yes you read that right. HIS DAD!

We adopted his brother too, but he did not come out very well either. He is being extrdicted back to Colorado for the girls he "liked" when he was there as well.

Its a sad reality that the cycle continues and continues. The real sad part is my brother does not understand why no one understands his position and is taking his side. He honest to goodness sees nothing wrong with what he did. His brother who is headed off to Colorado...I knew he was strange from the very beginning, but this one that did his niece...I thought we got to him in time. I was wrong...sometimes you don't even know your brother.

The criminals musta heard about it ... "What? They ain't got no crime there?! Well! I'll go and start a monopoly, then!"

I'd highly recommend that they don't. The police here are very understanding, when we had an issue with some hunters a few years ago that required the police to investigate, the Detective took me aside, and said...

"Are you going to take care of this, or do you want us too? You do know, you would be better off handling this then us."

We did...

Last year a kid joy riding in our hay fields with his truck caused a lot of damage. The police said the same thing. I think one of the reasons why things are as peaceful as they are here is because we handle things ourselves. But of course we could not do that if the powers that be did not look the other way. Its a system that works...mostly.