Need a sparky...

Mark Cothren

The switch for our light/vent/heater in one of our bathrooms has gone out and needs to be replaced. When I pulled it this is what I found:

100_2023Medium.jpg

100_2022Medium.jpg

I'm trying to decipher what these wires are... the replacement switch I bought references red and green wires, along with white and black. As you can see, all I have here is white and black.

Here is the switch I got to replace it - it was the only 3-switch setup that I could find at Lowe's.

100_2024.jpg

I am completely ignorant when it comes to wiring/electricity. If anyone can advise on this I would really appreciate it.

Mark,

What it looks like to me:

1. You basically have 3 switches fed by one hot wire

2. On the original switch, all of the short black wires that go from one switch to the other are just jumpers jumping "hot" to the next switch.

3. On the new switch, the jumpers have been placed internally within the switch assembly.

4. Looking at the 2nd photo, I suspect the left most black wire is the incoming hot wire but can't confirm it. I would try taking the left most black wire and put it to the single terminal on the left side of the switch as shown in the 3rd photo (the new switch). The remaining wires I would attach to the side of the new switch which has 3 terminals on it.

PS...shut off power to the switch before doing any of this!