Thread: Little spalted bowl

Smile Little spalted bowl

I don't get much of a chance to turn except vacation time, which is now, and I post even less, so trying to make up for both. This little guy is the outcome of my efforts at the lathe this week, boy am I out of what little practice I had, and we won't even go to the photography subject, thats another part of turning that has been neglected here in the shop. Dimensions are 5" diameter by 2" high, rim is out of kilter (was very close to pith) but had fun anyway. Finished with BLO and buffed, coat of ren wax and hand rubbed. Am requesting critiques and comments, and above all suggestions. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spaltedemaplebowl5 (600 x 305).jpg   spaltedmaplebowl1(600 x 395).jpg   spaltedmaplebowl2 (600 x 348).jpg   spaltedmaplebowl3 (600 x 486).jpg   spaltedmaplebowl4 (600 x 410).jpg  

Looks great, I would bet that would hold just the right amount of ice cream
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Doesn't look like you're that much out of practice. Nice little bowl. What kind of wood is it? It looks like some of the spalted alder I've got.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Good looking bowl Ron. Yep will hold ice cream just fine. Well done.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I think it looks great! You really permitted the wood grain and patterns to do it's work in this piece.

Great work!, Ron but I think I disagree with the rest, it is a bit small for ice cream. Maybe if one is on diet!
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Great work!, Ron but I think I disagree with the rest, it is a bit small for ice cream. Maybe if one is on diet!
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

I like my ice cream bowls on the small side, that way the ice cream stays fresh....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Vaughn, it is a small piece of spalted maple from the MIL's back yard that was cut by the arborist when she finally sold off the home and moved into an apartment. She has some work by me done from another tree cut down at the same time, and I have stopped giving her work made from her old homestead wood, as it was hard on her...so many memories. She is 86 y/o, washes the bathroom floor at 4o a.m. every day, and passes her day singing with her african grey parrot. I guess we could all do worse...thanks for looking..