The things you find,At a family picnic

Just got home and had to share. Had a good time The ice cream went over well. My nephew has quite a few Amish neighbors. The one that lives right across from him Is a real character. :)

I thought his two youngest where going to wear me out getting them ice cream.

Their Dad, Wally goes to a lot of auctions, I acquired a new tool from him tonight. Its bit scratched up But near as I can tell its never been fired. Yes a tool you fire, Even got the instructions with it.
Get this, a powder wedge of all things, load it with black powder, insert a fuse, drive it in a log light fuse run like the dickens... Yes I plan on using it, what true red blooded American boy wouldn't ?

Thats the first pi
second, me dishing out Ice cream for a few of the kids
third

Attachments

• powder wedge.jpg
    powder wedge.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 85
That is a different design than mine. I posted a picture sometime ago. Still trying to transfer files to a new computer or would repost. Just be sure to use genuine black powder. Do not use modern rifle/pistol powders. They work just fine for splitting wood.

Really neat, but my neighbours freak out when I use a chainsaw, it's a CHAINSAW :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I imagine I'd get jail time for splitting wood with one of them :D :wave:

IT works kind of backwards of the ones I've seen Frank.
Most of the use the explosive force to drive the wedge into the log. This one you load the powder in a hole by the wedge, plug the hole with paper and using the cap drive it into the side of the log, theres an eye on the side of the cap, you attach a chain to it and wrap it around the log. When it goes off the the force from the explosion goes into the log splitting it in theory.

Allen, some of them get quite upset about it. Wally and his family are bit more laid back about such things. They don't go out looking to get their pic taken but if it just happens they don't mind

I've never heard or seen anything similar! When you try it please do post pics of the process.

My only question is that in order to use for splitting logs you'll need a few more won't you?

Or it is used only to start the split, then put a wedge, move it along, give it another shot, then another wedge and so on?