Passing of a great turning talent: EagleSC

Ned Bulken

Never knew of him, but it's obvious he was held in very high regard among his peers. Real sorry to see the news.

I once called him a friend. We spent many hours on the telephone talking about his incredible talent for making pen blanks with, for the rest of the world, impossibly detailed inlays. He was an artist with an artists temperament. Probably inevitable that his temperament and my Italian stubbornness would collide with explosive force. He often tried to explain how he made his tablesaw jigs for cutting such tiny detailed work. Impossible to follow with oral description. I hope he left a written record of his techniques because his work was, without doubt, singular high art. Loss of a friendship was sad. Loss of Eagle, sad for all of us.

Eagle lived not too far from me. He was a very talented man who would quickly tell you whatever he was thinking. We enjoyed each others company on a couple occasions and he truly was a good fellow, but he could be a pain if your idea and his didn't coincide! He enjoyed challenging someone and enjoyed more so when some one succeeded! I was quite saddened to hear of his passing this morning. I'm glad I can say I knew him!

A compilation of photos of many of his pens is being put together for a penturning forum. When it is up, I, or someone else will post a link. Guaranteed, you will be blow away when you see the seemingly impossibly tiny inlay work he accomplished.

Did a web search, and found some amazing stuff. The orneriness doesn't bother be... old poets are just the same. The only thing that matters is the work, and his was pretty amazing!

It's sad to hear of an artist's passing. Sometimes it seems like every day could be our last, and what have we done? Geez, like the old song says, our very breath is merely loaned to us.

Thanks,

Bill

I remember the pen he did it looked like a stained glass that went completely through the top of the pen it was the absolutely best pen I have ever seen. Eagles craftsmanship is & attention to detail was some of the best I have ever seen.

Chuck

Eagle and I emailed frequently a few years ago. He got kicked off of the site, I left, then the inevitable, we just drifted and never seemed to wash up on his shore again. His work is/was amazing, nearest to magic I have ever seen. He was cantankerous, but if you couldn't take it, just leave, he knew why you were walking out and wasn't the type to follow you and keep dogging you. I have a couple of blanks from him that I was going to get around to copying if I could and he was betting I couldn't get it, now it will mean more to get it right eventually. Thanks for posting, sorry and my regards to his family.