Thread: DNA

DNA

I have three bowl roughouts that I turned today and put in DNA to soak. This is the first time I have tried this and look forward to having as much success as others report having.

Here are some questions I have.
    1. How do you know when you have to replace the DNA?

2. Is there any places cheaper than the Big Box stores to buy this? Lowes has it for $16 a gallon. Sherwin Williams paint store does not have it in 5 gallons. That is what they told me when I called and asked. Just curious where some of you buy your DNA.

3. Is there any problem storing this in plastic cat litter buckets with lids? That is what I am using right now to soak the blanks.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Strait View Post
    I have three bowl roughouts that I turned today and put in DNA to soak. This is the first time I have tried this and look forward to having as much success as others report having.

Here are some questions I have.
    1. How do you know when you have to replace the DNA?

2. Is there any places cheaper than the Big Box stores to buy this? Lowes has it for $16 a gallon. Sherwin Williams paint store does not have it in 5 gallons. That is what they told me when I called and asked. Just curious where some of you buy your DNA.

3. Is there any problem storing this in plastic cat litter buckets with lids? That is what I am using right now to soak the blanks.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!
    John
    1.) I just keep adding to mine as the level goes down. I haven't changed it all out for 1 1/2 yrs. now.

2.) I buy mine from the local lumber yard (Rasure Do It Center) for $12.50 a gallon. I thought he told me he could get 5 gallon buckets. I will have to ask again. Like I said once I have the initial fill of the container I just keep a gallon around to fill as the level drops.

3.) I don't see a problem at all if they are sealed fairly decent. I have a sealed plastic container. I cannot remember for the life of me where I got it. I am thinking the big auction place.

Hope this helps.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks Bernie, it is good to know that it does not need to be dumped and started over, but just replenished. I will check some of the lumberyards around the area and see if they carry 5 gallon containers of it. If not, I will just go with the gallon cans of it. I started out with 2 gallons and it seems to be enough for now, but I will have a bunch more to soak as soon as I get them roughed out.

Thanks again,
    John

I'll echo Bernie...I just keep adding another gallon to it every few months as the level drops due to evaporation. It turns a dark brown color, but I've never seen it stain the wood that's soaked in it. I pay around $15.00 per gallon. I haven't looked around here for 5-gallon buckets of it.

I keep mine in a bucket with a sealed, screwed-on lid. (Like they sell for dog food storage.) I also have a larger tub with a home made vacuum lid for soaking bigger pieces, so sometimes my DNA will be stored in that one if I'm doing several big pieces in succession.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com