DNA

John Strait

I have three bowl roughouts that I turned today and put in DNA to soak. This is the first time I have tried this and look forward to having as much success as others report having.

Here are some questions I have.
1. How do you know when you have to replace the DNA?

2. Is there any places cheaper than the Big Box stores to buy this? Lowes has it for $16 a gallon. Sherwin Williams paint store does not have it in 5 gallons. That is what they told me when I called and asked. Just curious where some of you buy your DNA.

3. Is there any problem storing this in plastic cat litter buckets with lids? That is what I am using right now to soak the blanks.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!
John

I have three bowl roughouts that I turned today and put in DNA to soak. This is the first time I have tried this and look forward to having as much success as others report having.

Here are some questions I have.
1. How do you know when you have to replace the DNA?

2. Is there any places cheaper than the Big Box stores to buy this? Lowes has it for $16 a gallon. Sherwin Williams paint store does not have it in 5 gallons. That is what they told me when I called and asked. Just curious where some of you buy your DNA.

3. Is there any problem storing this in plastic cat litter buckets with lids? That is what I am using right now to soak the blanks.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!
John

1.) I just keep adding to mine as the level goes down. I haven't changed it all out for 1 1/2 yrs. now.

2.) I buy mine from the local lumber yard (Rasure Do It Center) for $12.50 a gallon. I thought he told me he could get 5 gallon buckets. I will have to ask again. Like I said once I have the initial fill of the container I just keep a gallon around to fill as the level drops.

3.) I don't see a problem at all if they are sealed fairly decent. I have a sealed plastic container. I cannot remember for the life of me where I got it. I am thinking the big auction place.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Bernie, it is good to know that it does not need to be dumped and started over, but just replenished. I will check some of the lumberyards around the area and see if they carry 5 gallon containers of it. If not, I will just go with the gallon cans of it. I started out with 2 gallons and it seems to be enough for now, but I will have a bunch more to soak as soon as I get them roughed out.

Thanks again,
John

I'll echo Bernie...I just keep adding another gallon to it every few months as the level drops due to evaporation. It turns a dark brown color, but I've never seen it stain the wood that's soaked in it. I pay around $15.00 per gallon. I haven't looked around here for 5-gallon buckets of it.

I keep mine in a bucket with a sealed, screwed-on lid. (Like they sell for dog food storage.) I also have a larger tub with a home made vacuum lid for soaking bigger pieces, so sometimes my DNA will be stored in that one if I'm doing several big pieces in succession.