Doing A Limited Number of Shows

Cody Colston

I still haven't done a show of any kind but am planning for my first...whenever that may be. I've been reading everything I can find about the subject and I have one big question.

For doing a limited number of shows...like two or three a year...is it necessary to have a business account, propay or credit card service, insurance, etc, etc.

I'd like to ease into this but from what I read, it's a lot more involved than it appears at first glance. Any opinions from the group here?

Finally, I've been reading the "Marketing and Shows" forum over at IAP (I'm not a member there) and wondered if that might be something that could be added to "Lathe Land?"

Any interest in that or is it a dumb suggestion?

Cody, I don't know if I'm doing it the right way, so take this with a grain of salt, but I don't have a separate business bank account at this point. Like you, my original intent was to do 3 or 4 shows a year. (Although I've done more than that, and I've been doing it for less than a year.) I did file a DBA with the state, and got squared away with them in regards to my business name, and for sales tax. I have recently been informed that I also need to purchase a City of LA Business License, which doesn't surprise me. I do have ProPay credit card service, and I think it's a must to have some way of accepting credit cards, especially if you're selling $100+ items. I don't have insurance (beyond my homeowner's insurance, which I doubt covers me at a show).

Your idea about a Marketing and Shows area sounds interesting. I'm not sure if we have enough of us doing these shows to warrant a separate forum, but since this place is member-run, if there seems to be enough interest in it, it could be set up.
:)

i think folks making money off their work is always a good idea! doing so at craft shows is kinda dicy though....
i`m all for discussions about marketing etc.