Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Ci1 Review

Another Ci1 Review

I got my Ci1 Easy Rougher last Friday, and I got a chance this weekend to test drive it a bit.

My first test was a dry piece of spalted alder that wanted to be a hollow form. It's pretty soft wood, and hard to cut without tearout. I didn't take any pics, but the Ci1 cut the alder very smoothly, with almost no tearout. This thing is not a scraper...it's cutting. Hooked into the 24" Monster Handle II, it was very easy cutting. I was very impressed. I did find that speed is your friend with this tool.

As it turned out, I did the entire hollow form with carbide tools. The Ci1 for the outside (including finish cuts) and the Monster carbide bit on the articulating arm for the inside. I did the detail cuts around the neck of the hollow form with the Monster bit on Randy's hex boring bar, plugged into the 24" handle. Like the Ci1, the Monster carbide tool produces better results at higher speeds.

Here's a picture of the Ci1 and the big Monster handle:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ash Root Ball Bowl 2 - 07 800.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	22056

And the business end of the tool. I guess I could have cleaned it off before taking the picture:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ash Root Ball Bowl 2 - 08 800.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	22057

Saturday night, I decided it was time for a tougher test. I've had a piece of ash root burl in the pile for a while. Since I took a pile of pics, I'll create another thread to show how that went.

Anyway, Stu can give me the "I told you so". I'm liking this tool a lot.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Well there you go, I'll not say it, as I'm just so pleased you had a similar experience with it, just wait until you do some green stuff
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, the ash root burl I did was green once I got inside of it. Even with all the grain changes and inclusions/holes, I was still getting 1/2" wide ribbons off the cutter.

Frank, I seriously doubt you'll regret the purchase.

I did forget to mention the one thing that was a problem...the DVD that Craig included with the tool wouldn't play on my computer. It obviously didn't stop me from using the tool.

workingwoods.com

Chuck (and anyone else who's interested), I bought it from Craig Jackson (the maker) at http://www.easywoodtools.com/ci1.htm.

The handle is from Randy Privett (Monster Wood Tools), and he's got it shown about halfway down this page:

http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page7.html

I've now got three of Randy's handles, and I swear by them.

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I did forget to mention the one thing that was a problem...the DVD that Craig included with the tool wouldn't play on my computer. It obviously didn't stop me from using the tool.
    Well you can see all of the videos, not in as good a resolution, at Craig's >> YouTube channel << there.

Glad you like it!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I think the Ci1 tips are going to be my weapon of choice when it comes to roughing my blanks.

Some pictures of its cutting ability Here on the UK forum.
    Chas. just a traveller on the road of time.

Bits & Pieces Gallery
    My Web Site

Got mine today.

Nicely packed; I bought it directly from Craig Jackson; nice note from he and the Mrs. Along with the tool was the installed handle and straight bit, two extra bits and the chip shield. I have the Capital Area Woodturners club this weekend, think I will take it along for "show and tell". This is a serious tool, great workmanship, perfect finish, nice balance with the handle.

Wow, that was quick, Frank. I got mine pretty quickly, too. (I kind of expected a bit of delay, since I figured Craig had a lot of orders to fill after the AAW symposium.

Congrats on the new get...I think you're gonna like it.

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Congrats on the new get...I think you're gonna like it.
    Thank you Vaughn. I was surprised by the quick delivery also, maybe he is still sorting out the orders from the symposium...

Naw, I put a good word in for you both, and they made the order extra fast

Kidding!

I think that Craig's lovely wife Donna (I think it is Donna) has gone full time on running the Ci1 business, while Craig retains his day job, so your orders can be filled quickly. Craig was at the symposium, but he was demoing the tool at the CS USA booth, so I would think most of the orders would go through CS USA

So Frank, give us a review once you have some time on the tool, and be careful, that sucker is SHARP

Stu
    William Arthur Ward