Here's a piece of ash root burl that I used this weekend to test my new Ci1 and the Monster carbide tool.
I've got lots of pics, so I'll spare you a lot of reading. Here's what I started with:
One side did have a bit of a flat spot on it for the faceplate:
A little work with my beater hand plane, and I had the faceplate mounted. The figure in the wood was real promising:
After I mounted in on the lathe, I spotted this hitchhiker. A garden slug from the back yard. He got to meet my friend Centrifugal Force shortly after this picture was taken:
Here's the blank, ready to beat on the Ci1:
Attachment 22051 Attachment 22052
Here we are about 40 minutes later. I was not hurrying or trying to see how hard I could push the lathe:
Attachment 22053 Attachment 22054
Continued in the next post...