Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Back to my Roots

ABQ NM

Getting Back to my Roots

Here's a piece of ash root burl that I used this weekend to test my new Ci1 and the Monster carbide tool.

I've got lots of pics, so I'll spare you a lot of reading. Here's what I started with:

Attachment 22048

One side did have a bit of a flat spot on it for the faceplate:

Attachment 22049

A little work with my beater hand plane, and I had the faceplate mounted. The figure in the wood was real promising:

Attachment 22050

After I mounted in on the lathe, I spotted this hitchhiker. A garden slug from the back yard. He got to meet my friend Centrifugal Force shortly after this picture was taken:

Attachment 22055

Here's the blank, ready to beat on the Ci1:

Attachment 22051 Attachment 22052

Here we are about 40 minutes later. I was not hurrying or trying to see how hard I could push the lathe:

Attachment 22053 Attachment 22054

Continued in the next post...
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

ABQ NM
    After I got the tenon turned and that outside shape close to what I wanted, I reversed the blank and used a Forstner bit to give myself a pilot hole. Because of the placement of the bark inclusions on the blank, I opted to go for a closed form bowl. Think of it as a wide-mouthed hollow form:

Attachment 22058

I did much of the inside hollowing with the Ci1. I did stepped plunge cuts, in 1" or so increments, starting from the pilot hole and working my way towards the outside. Here's a shot from early in the process. You can see how cleanly the Ci1 was cutting:

Attachment 22059

I did a little of the undercutting with the Ci1, but it eventually got a bit dicey, so I switched to the Monster articulating arm with the round carbide cutter.

Attachment 22060

It has taken me a little while, but I'm starting to get the hang of the Monster carbide bit. I get my best results (so far) with the cutter at 90 degrees, parallel to the lathe bed, running the speed as fast as I comfortably can.

I left the walls pretty thick for now. I'll see how much courage I can muster before I decide how thin I'll take it after it dries:

Attachment 22061 Attachment 22062

For now, it's bathing in DNA, and I'll know in a month or two how it's gonna finish out.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Tyler, Texas
    Cool pictoral, Vaughn! I love seeing how other folks do things.

I do have to say, though, about the first picture...that blank is one ugly mother.

I'm looking forward to seing how it "turns" out.

Tokyo Japan
    Boy, that one could really turn out () to be a real eye turner!

Looking forward to this one, when it is done, for sure!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Well Vaughn, you have this monster in controle, a whole operation to get it this way, I enjoyed the pictures of the turning procedure.
    I'm waiting to see the finished product.

Lakeport NY and/or the nearest hotel
    Yipes that's a huge gap staring at you, bet it is a lot of fun to turn. Can't wait to see how this one turns out Vaughn.

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Very impressive. I can see where the "courage" part is going to come in. Maybe you should just thin the top edge and leave the rest as is. Be a pity to have all go flying about the shop on the last cut.

Goodland, Kansas
    That is going to be a beauty when done. I can see the pucker factor is going to be high on this one.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Constantine, MI
    Great work Vaughn!

I suppose that when you are done you will carry it up to the precipice of a high rock outcropping overlooking the (asphalt) jungle, hold it up over your head and say. "Behold, the only thing greater than yourself." Or something like that.
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will. - Chuck Palahniuk

Thanks for the pics Vaughn! Way to work that burl! Was that a local find? I take it you like the Ci-1? I'm seriously pondering getting one.