Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overdone outfeed? Advice needed

Question Overdone outfeed? Advice needed

I almost feel bad saying this knowing what some of you are working with when it comes to square footage in your shops, but here goes anyway. I'm cramped for space! I share m400 +/- sf with the furnace, extra fridge, HW heater, laundry, and back of the fireplace. In addition, all my wood storage is 'in shop' and all other normal household repair tools and supplies are also kept there.

When I first purchased my TS I had a lot less 'stuff' in the shop (see pictures) and I added a full width out feed table that is almost 3' deep. Overdone, for sure, but I had the space. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	East small.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	22065 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	West.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	22066 Oh, BTW, these pictures are several years old - the shop has not been this empty, or this clean, in a looooooong time!

Now, as I look to make room for planned shop upgrades (like a real router table) I see the error of my ways as the right side of the out feed table does little more than act as a collection area for cut offs and occasional extra bench space for glue ups, etc.

My question, and my need for advice, concerns the need for a large out feed space. I've noticed that most out feed table designs in books and magazines concern themselves only with an area equal in width to the actual saw table. Many are hinged to fall down out of the way when not in use. When additional support is needed various forms of rollers and such are called into service.

I'm thinking of going the fold down route. Do any of you use a fold down out feed? Pros? Cons? Should I keep what I have and find another way to satisfy my space needs? All input welcome!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Back when John Shaffner and I shared the shop mahal, we had a 4' wide by 5' long outfeed/work table in the center of the shop. It too was a catch all, but when it came to ripping long stock etc it was great to have. I don't have nearly as much room available, so my plan is for one of the fold down style outfeed/work tables once I get to that point in my shop.
    -Ned

For me, when I get to it, a drop or fold down is just about my only option for outfeed. My shop is my garage and the TS is set so the outfeed is through the garage door to the great out of doors. It is also set fairly close to the door so it has to be opened for nearly any ripping function.
    Jerry

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

"If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."
    Bob "Phydeaux" Stewart one day on Woodnet

I haven't found the need for a folding outfeed table...yet. My current outfeed is 18", which is ample for most tasks, and a roller support handles the rest.

I did have a standalone router table but it took up too much space, so I have dismantled it and opted for using the side of my tablesaw for the router. This might be something you want to consider.

Can you mobilize the machine so that it can feed through the door? I can't see your pic for some reason so I'm just throwing something out there. I know of a guy who has small space but the basement has doors that go outside. So when he needs to, he moves his table saw and planer to the door area, opens the double doors so the wood has some place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    Back when John Shaffner and I shared the shop mahal, we had a 4' wide by 5' long outfeed/work table in the center of the shop. It too was a catch all, but when it came to ripping long stock etc it was great to have. I don't have nearly as much room available, so my plan is for one of the fold down style outfeed/work tables once I get to that point in my shop.
    Thanks Ned - I knew this thread would catch your eye having limited space to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Palmer View Post
    For me, when I get to it, a drop or fold down is just about my only option for outfeed. My shop is my garage and the TS is set so the outfeed is through the garage door to the great out of doors. It is also set fairly close to the door so it has to be opened for nearly any ripping function.
    I angled my saw since this picture was taken to take advantage of the open door for long rips. Even so, I've only really needed it a couple of times. The jointer is on wheels so I pull it away from the wall as needed (it has also been relocated since the picture was taken.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gari Biasillo View Post
    I haven't found the need for a folding outfeed table...yet. My current outfeed is 18", which is ample for most tasks, and a roller support handles the rest.

I did have a standalone router table but it took up too much space, so I have dismantled it and opted for using the side of my table saw for the router. This might be something you want to consider.
    I like the idea of just having a more shallow outfeed, not having to hinge it - I'll keep this in mind. Another member PM'd me and suggested I look at putting my router in the extension - I might look more at this option also.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Lanier View Post
    Can you mobilize the machine so that it can feed through the door? I can't see your pic for some reason so I'm just throwing something out there. I know of a guy who has small space but the basement has doors that go outside. So when he needs to, he moves his table saw and planer to the door area, opens the double doors so the wood has some place to go.
    Yes - do that now - see my answer to Jerry. Seems like a common idea!

Actually, I take all my sheet goods out on the back patio and reduce them to manageable sizes prior to wrestling them onto the TS. And it's rare I need to rip anything longer than 8' and the closed door is a little further off than that.

All good info guys - thanks! Keep it coming.

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

that be one nice looking work area/shop
    Im guessing that wood storage moves so you can open the door?maybe not

I have to have everything mobile, or collapsable, I use a 3 foot sawhorse, folding legs, I put a piece of pvc pipe wrapped around a piece of a closet pole, that serves as my outfeed if its large pieces.
    I keep the small outfeed(12in) roller on the other side.
    Last edited by allen levine; 07-07-2008 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    that be one nice looking work area/shop
    I'm guessing that wood storage moves so you can open the door?maybe not

I have to have everything mobile, or collapsible, I use a 3 foot sawhorse, folding legs, I put a piece of pvc pipe wrapped around a piece of a closet pole, that serves as my outfeed if its large pieces.
    I keep the small outfeed(12in) roller on the other side.
    Yes, it was a nice, clean, spacious shop.... once!

Triple the amount of lumber seen in the photo (yes, it's on casters - but right now it's way too heavy to move), add an 18" BS, 6" belt/10" disk sanding station, floor model drill press, and a few other items and it got crowded.... fast!

www.wrworkshop.com

Got a different take. Make your outfeed table your router table.

Or rather build you router table into the out feed table.

Rennie,

First, I suggest you take current photos, make them LARGER than those tiny ones you posted, and let us see the whole current shop. That would make it easier to make useful suggestions.

Next, random ideas, in random order

- you could put the router table in the right side of the TS table, to the right of the fence. Or in the outfeed table

- you have a ton of wasted space under your outfeed table and the area to the right of the saw. If you fill that in with cabinetry and/or shelves, then you could rip out some of your other storage to make more room. (Take a look at some of Bart Leetch's shop photos! Or any number of projects out there that replace the base of a Contractor-type tablesaw with a big mobile wooden cabinet full of drawers and shelves.

- you have this huge wall of cabinets. I have something like that, but less of it. Many times I wonder if it would be more efficient to rip it all out, (or in your case, just some of it) and replace it with a floor-to-ceiling cabinet for storage. The horizontal space under the upper cabinets just tends to collect junk, I find.

- you could put your workbench on wheels and make it the same height as the outfeed table. then get rid of the current outfeed table and when you absolutely need it, use the workbench for outfeed.

- build a custom shorter base for the jointer and tuck it under one of the wings of the TS, or under the outfeed table.

- did I mention all that wasted space under/around your TS ???
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood