Thread: Success...well partially....

Success...well partially....

Alyson has been growing and so has her vocabulary, both in sign language and in words. Well with me getting more and more shop time lately, it was bound to happen and today she finally put everything together. As we worked on fixing a couch arm rest, she "helped" me and toyed with some of my tools. Then she looked at me and said...

"Daddy ools out in op."

Translation for those of you that don't have two year olds..."Daddy's tools are out in his shop."

First I just had to hug her, and then I was filled with this overwhelming feeling of accomplishment as if my work on this earth was done. But as I slowly came down off my euphoric daddy high I realized she still has not got that potty thing down, can only count to three and can only pick out about ten letters of the alphabet. Obviously I have a long way to go...

Still she is starting to understand the correlation between Daddy, tools and his shop. She also has to be near me whenever I work on something in the house. between her toy tool bench she LOVES to play with, her Grandfather allowing her to "fix" things with him, and her Dad always letting her hang around him while working, I think she is steering towards tom-boyism. But is that a bad thing???

Either way, its been awhile since I posted a picture. Here is Daddy and Daughter taken yesterday at a park for those that have not seen her in awhile.

I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Central NY State
    It just keeps getting better. Enjoy every moment.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Indianapolis area
    Enjoy this now--she will be a teenager all to soon!

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

St. Louis, MO
    Before you know it, she'll have her own small work bench, complete with tools, and free reign over the scrap bin. Lee Valley has those safety goggles for little kids. My 4 and 6 year olds also both like their ear protection with the louder machines.
    They have great fun. As long as they're being safe, i don't get in their way except to answer questions or teach a new task. We do build some toys together - they "get it" that you can generally make anything if you can draw a picture of it and then figure out how to put it together.
    Favorite things to do: - drilling, sanding, hand planing, nailing, painting, and sometimes sawing. It's a lot like cooking - they figure out the ingredients, prepare them, and assemble them. It's a great tool to reinforce numbers and math as well.
    I overheard Nick, my 6 year old, explaining to Yvette (my wife) the difference between a shaper and a router the other day - makes a dad proud.

That feeling/moment will be repeated all your/her life, enjow every one of them. The potty one, first day at school one, the reading one, the graduation, the wedding one and so forth... and remember we harvest what we sow.
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Sacramento CA
    Haa Haa just wait till she hits teenage and makes "DAD!" sound like a dirty word.

All worth it though.

new york city burbs
    Quote Originally Posted by ken werner View Post
    and alot more expensive

Rio Rancho, NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
    Enjoy this now--she will be a teenager all to soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by ken werner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    and alot more expensive
    And a lot more frustrating -and a lot more hair-graying!!!
    Nancy Laird
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    Enjoy it. She will soon be a teenager and won't want to be seen with you except when she wants something. We are now starting over with grandkids. Oh my wife got the gray hair and mine dissappeared. But the new solgan is " SILVER THE NEW BLONDE"

Kansas City, Missouri
    I agree with the others, enjoy every moment. The teenager years aren't always fun, but enjoy those too, the aliens will eventually return them back to you.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault