Wren on the water photos

My dream too

Hi Jeff

Great looking canoe or should I say Kayak. I really envy you. A year ago had planned on being in the water with my canoe by this summer.

Have to let you in on a small secret. Planning on building a strip canoe. Part of what I consider as a right of passage to becoming a "New Canadian". To this end I had already cut the stronback on which to mount the forms when my SWIMBO entered my "temp" basement shop and said "If you build this canoe how are you going to get it out?" I looked up at here in utter amazement as if to say what a stupid question. Upon looking around I realized that all the windows in the basement of the homes that are being built in Canada nowdays could not get a mouse through them never mind a 16ft cedar canoe. Considered blowing out one of the windows and chopping up half the wall to turn my basement into a walk out but that was not possible since I had covered the rear of my house with a huge deck. Enter SWIMBO she the said I best build myself a shop in the backyard that way she gets her basement back and removes the noise and dust from her house and i get to have my own shop. If this had not happened by accident one would think that I planned the whole incident. Wish I was that clever.

So there you have it and soon you will be able to see the shop that came about as a result of wanting to build a canoe. More on that later.

Lesson learned is something like an Asian wisdom. He who wants new shop should start to build something in basement that cannot be taken out with out major structural alteration. Then plant seed in SWIMBO's mind and let it germinate.

How does it paddle ? Fast ?

Was thinking about your question today. Went for a paddle with a couple of people I had paddled with before. One is a younger lady that is rather strong paddler. One that I really struggled to keep up with the last time I paddled with her. I was in a borrowed boat at the time. I finally quit trying because was just kicking my backside. No two ways about it.

So today I went over and paddled with her and a couple of other people. I found that I had to work at, but I keep up with Tabatha in my boat without killing myself. Not that I wasn't paddling harder. But I could keep up with her and not just for short burst. So I am starting to think that this boat may be faster than I was initially thought. :dunno: