Thread: Some Bottle Stoppers

Tokyo Japan

Some Bottle Stoppers

I got these kits from Craft Supplies USA, they looked neat, with the corkscrew inside the bottle stopper..........
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	combo-cork-bot_l.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	22105
    .....but, I really, REALLY did not like the way they show these done, with the large cone shaped stopper and then the reduction in size down to the screw in part which holds the corkscrew, so I drilled a hole large enough to hide the size reducing thing, if that make sense.....

Name:	bottle_stoppers1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	22106
    I had six on hand, so I made six

Name:	bottle_stoppers2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	22107 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottle_stoppers3.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	22108
    The first three are some Sakura that I got a while back from my "Logging in Tokyo" adventure, the second set of three are Keyaki, from my local Shinto shrine.

I'll still be playing with the shapes, sized, but I figured for these, with the corkscrew attachment, they needed to have a bit of size to them, so you can draw out a cork.

These are going to Canada with me as presents for friends and family, but I'll be ordering a bunch more, to make and (hopefully) sell in the liquor shop.

Fun and easy to do.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Kirkintilloch, Scotland.
    Stuart: Great looking stoppers, I agree with you about the top of the screw it is better hidden and it also gives more to hold onto when pulling the cork. Don't want to waste any of the liquid

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    They are great looking stoppers, but personally, I think the CSUSA cones are top heavy and detract from the looks of the great wood turnings.
    I've stopped making these, but I saw the stainless steel cones that Ruth Niles offers on her web site.. they look interesting.
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Goodland, Kansas
    Great looking stoppers Stu. Ya did good.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

DSM, IA
    These look great Stu. I need to get some stopper sets for gifts soon. I'm sure yours will be enjoyed by all.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Great looking stoppers Stu. I like them all. Have been thinking of turning a few of these but know nothing about them. Are the sizes all the same for the stoppers you buy? Mitch