Some Bottle Stoppers

Stuart Ablett

I got these kits from Craft Supplies USA, they looked neat, with the corkscrew inside the bottle stopper..........
combo-cork-bot_l.jpg
.....but, I really, REALLY did not like the way they show these done, with the large cone shaped stopper and then the reduction in size down to the screw in part which holds the corkscrew, so I drilled a hole large enough to hide the size reducing thing, if that make sense.....

bottle_stoppers1.jpg
I had six on hand, so I made six:rolleyes:

bottle_stoppers2.jpg bottle_stoppers3.jpg
The first three are some Sakura that I got a while back from my "Logging in Tokyo" adventure, the second set of three are Keyaki, from my local Shinto shrine.

I'll still be playing with the shapes, sized, but I figured for these, with the corkscrew attachment, they needed to have a bit of size to them, so you can draw out a cork.

These are going to Canada with me as presents for friends and family, but I'll be ordering a bunch more, to make and (hopefully) sell in the liquor shop.

Fun and easy to do.

Cheers!

Stuart: Great looking stoppers, I agree with you about the top of the screw it is better hidden and it also gives more to hold onto when pulling the cork. Don't want to waste any of the liquid:thumb::thumb:

They are great looking stoppers, but personally, I think the CSUSA cones are top heavy and detract from the looks of the great wood turnings.
I've stopped making these, but I saw the stainless steel cones that Ruth Niles offers on her web site.. they look interesting.

Stu
Great looking stoppers Stu. I like them all. Have been thinking of turning a few of these but know nothing about them. Are the sizes all the same for the stoppers you buy? Mitch