Keyless Chuck and PRL

glenn bradley

I guess there is a camera stealth gloat in here (Rebel XTi). I've been a little under the weather for awhile so I thought I'd catch up a bit.

I had a problem getting the chuck off the taper after Delta had worked on my 17-950L awhile back. Fought it till I got bored. A new taper is only about $9. The chuck grips surprisingly well. After a couple 1/2" forstner tests I laid into a piece of scrap with a 1-3/8" at about 250 RPM. Works just fine.

Keyless-Chuck.jpg

Somehow, this thing showed up. Guess I'll have to enlarge that Rockler-sized plate hole. Glad the underside of my table is ribbed. The PRL combined with the 5625 will be pretty hefty for my MDF table.

PRL-not-installed-1.jpg

Yep...you definitely scored a hat trick.

The keyless chuck on my Craftsman drill press (which looks like it came out of the same plant that made your Delta) has slipped a little from time to time for me, so I'm thinking of getting a better chuck. I'm open to suggestions or opinions.

I've got the Woodpeckers MDF template and bit for routing the hole for their aluminum plate. Lemme know if you want to borrow them.

And I'll bet you'll love the new camera. I'm partial to Nikon, but Canon makes a great camera, too. Being a long-time 35mm SLR guy, I'm loving having the same capabilities in a digital. (Free film! Shoot millions of pics and only keep two if you want.)

Glenn,

You're gonna love that PRL. I feel spoiled and extravagant every time I use mine! ;)

It's kinda like drinking champagne: even if you drink it every night, it's still fun! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

...The keyless chuck on my Craftsman drill press (which looks like it came out of the same plant that made your Delta) has slipped a little from time to time for me, so I'm thinking of getting a better chuck. I'm open to suggestions or opinions....

Well, if you're feeling flush, there's always an Albrecht...

Otherwise, take a look at the Enco catalog. They have a couple excellent copies of the Albrecht, in the $50~$60 range. I have the Enco 'house brand' one on my Powermatic drill press, and it's great. I've had it for about ten years, or more. It has nearly zero runout, and it actually gets tighter if it begins to slip, but can still easily be loosened with one hand.

I'm seriously considering getting another one for the Shop Fox radial press, too.

Last edited: