Thread: Flutes

Flutes

Well, a couple of months ago, I said that I had fell over board into the abyss. Long drop!! Well, I think I found where I want to be. I had never been around a lathe before, always done flat work. It is ok, but this has to be best of all of it. Here is a picture of a couple of the flutes I've made. I sure spun a lot of cedar to get to this point, but it was well worth it. I hope you enjoy the picture, I sure enjoy making them. Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FLUTES AND DRUM 013.JPG  

Nice looking flutes Jack. Its nice to see the diverse items that can be made in the abyss. Do you play them?

Those are beautiful. It sure is good to see something different. It would be nice to know how they were made.

Those are awesome, Jack. Do they actually play?

I'm not a musician but would like to give something like that a try just to say I've done it. Are there any tutorials anywhere on how to do it? I'm sure there is much more to them that a hollow piece of wood with holes drilled in it.
    Why has common sense
    become so uncommon?

My Woodwork Site

Quote Originally Posted by John Ryan View Post
    Nice looking flutes Jack. Its nice to see the diverse items that can be made in the abyss. Do you play them?
    Thanks John, I'm in the process of learning, I have a family member that plays, but does not know how to make them. So we make a good team. He is teaching me. I's been quite a learning process. Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammad Madha View Post
    Those are beautiful. It sure is good to see something different. It would be nice to know how they were made.
    There is a Flute site where you can learn. Lots of good reading and very helpful members.
    "nativeflutewoodworking". Just google it, can't remember the address for the moment. Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Rock View Post
    Those are awesome, Jack. Do they actually play?

I'm not a musician but would like to give something like that a try just to say I've done it. Are there any tutorials anywhere on how to do it? I'm sure there is much more to them that a hollow piece of wood with holes drilled in it.
    Thank you. Yes they do play, they are tuned with a penatonic tuner. A lot more to them then meets the eye. Jack

Those are beautiful Jack. Well done.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Those are very cool, and I bet they sound really nice too
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Those are beautiful Jack. Well done.
    Again, Thank you Bernie and Stuart, the first 10 or so that I made, became firewood. Cedar make a great fire starter. But its really hard to start a fire with all that hard work, it will make you try harder the next time. Jack