Any Woodstock Generation out there?

Yep! Cocker I liked in his early days. Leon Russell.....I didn't know he existed in that early form.

When The British Invasion happened, I had been playing and singing in a local rock group for 2 years. I was sooooooooo tired of playing Chuck Berry songs I wanted to puke every time I picked up my bass guitar and had to sing.

With the coming of The Beatles, the Stones, The DC5, The Searchers, Peter and Gordon, Manfred Mann, The Yardbirds, The Kinks, The Swinging Blue Jeans, Gerry and the Pacemakers, The Who, The Moody Blues, The Zombies, The BeeGees, THe Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, The Bachelors, Freddie and the Dreamers, The Small Faces, Eric Burdon and the Animals.Cream......and others...music became a whole lot less boring to me.

And then there was the American and Canadian influences...Janis Joplin.&.Country Joe and the Fish............Blood Sweat and Tears....The Beach Boys.....The Four Seasons.....The Guess Who........Grand Funk Railroad......The Doobie Brothers....BTO.......Roy Orbison........BJ Thomas..........Johnny Rivers....David Gates and Bread.....

Rock music for me became exciting and it spread to encompass a beautifully wide spectrum!

Anybody want to guess how many 33s and CDs I have from 1960 to about 1978?

Want to guess what kind of music I listened to when I could still hear.....No I didn't lose my hearing by listening to loud music......I got a viral infection in an inner ear.:(

That's too funny, Curt. I saw it a while back, and it cracked me up all over again tonight.
I thought that's what he said. But do you remember Leon lookin' like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3aCneSk6Uk&feature=related
And a similar Leon clip, with Glen Campbell playing banjo backup...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ooGabNDjLY

And lastly, to tie it all together, one of Joe and Leon (a.k.a. The Master of Space and Time) playing together in Mad Dogs and Englishmen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RnjWLVyMps&feature=related

Leon Russel is IMHO one of the coolest cats ever. Great songwriter/singer/musician. I have his "best of" CD that I never get tired of listening to. He plays here in Phoenix every year in a blues club called the Rythm Room. Now that they have the smoking ban on the bars here, I might go check him out, couldn't hack the smoke in the place before.

I noticed you didn't mention you were to young in the 70s, 80s or 90s...what, no comment? Or do you not recall those decades? :rofl::wave:
Hmmm....

Don't know about Art, but I was around for the 60's and, proud to say, I'm one of the 27 people in my generation that didn't inhale.:D As for the 70's, they are a blur of pain, misfortune, and misery - Also referred to as my first marriage. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rennie.....there's you and me.....who's the other 25?:eek::huh:

My father had a big influence on my not drinking or doing drugs.....You see his biceps was as big as my thighs.....and he knew how to use the fists at the end of those big arms and wouldn't hesitate to use them....

Another influence was the lead guitar player in our band. The idiot came from a broken home....was "adopted" or fostered by a local couple who owned a florist shop. They bought him a brand new Fender Strat...American made in those days....he skipped town and went to California. He came back 8 months later......with a little maryJane but nobody grew it locally then and it wasn't being sold locally. The rednecked area where I went to highschool didn't believe it rock-n-roll, hippies or Marywanna because only Commies did it and it would make you insane. He also did so other drugs that you could purchase over the counter in those days at a drugstore...prescription only today.......He was such a jerk, I wouldn't touch the stuff for fear it would make me act like him. Besides...Dad was always in the back of my mind......

Right out of HS.....I was too busy changing jobs and chasing girls. Got drafted...enlisted....met the LOML.....went to bootcamp....got married....now I had a wife and 2 kids to support....who could afford drugs or even a beer and I was only 19 anyway and still not legal to drink.

Besides....I could "trip" on the oil rigs where I worked.....I could "trip" on the music I was hearing.....I was tripping on life in general....what did I need drugs for?......Did I miss anything? I don't think so.

So Rennie....who's the other 25?

Rennie and Ken, you can put my parents in there with you both...I guess your down to 23.

If I was smarter when I was young, I would have tripped on life too...would have finished college in 4 years as well!...much smarter now!! :huh:

Also, I didn't intend to stereotype your generation...just Art himself. :D

Rennie.....there's you and me.....who's the other 25?:eek::huh:

Actually, you make 28:rofl: Didn't know about you.:D

My father had a big influence on my not drinking or doing drugs.....You see his biceps was as big as my thighs.....and he knew how to use the fists at the end of those big arms and wouldn't hesitate to use them....

Hmmmm.... similar influence here - my dad was a cop & ex-Navy - WWII south Pacific.

Another influence was the lead guitar player in our band.

We have much in common - I played bass in our little garage band. I was never very good at it, but I had lots of fun and our lead guitarist.... well... he had 'issues'.

In addition to my not-so-expensive bass, I also had a beautiful Fender 12 string acoustic. During some hard times in the early 70's I sold it to a friend who promised he'd sell it back to me should he ever change his mind and I had enough money to buy it back. Well, that didn't last long. He went to Virginia for a spell, got caught up in drugs, and sold our guitar. Took me a long time to get over that.:(

Right out of HS.....I was too busy changing jobs and chasing girls. Got drafted...enlisted....met the LOML.....went to bootcamp....got married....now I had a wife and 2 kids to support....who could afford drugs or even a beer and I was only 19 anyway and still not legal to drink.

Never went into the service. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing for me. High number on the lottery.

Besides....I could "trip" on the oil rigs where I worked.....I could "trip" on the music I was hearing.....I was tripping on life in general....what did I need drugs for?......Did I miss anything? I don't think so.

Not really sure - just going on hearsay.:rofl::rofl:
I'm gonna have to get up to your neck of the woods some day.:rolleyes: We had been planning on that bike trail out of Wallace, but that will have to wait till next year. We have plans for some home improvements that will be making use of the vacations savings. Oh well.:dunno:

Rennie and Ken, you can put my parents in there with you both...I guess your down to 23.

See my post to Ken - guess we're up to 30 now :eek:

If I was smarter when I was young, I would have tripped on life too...would have finished college in 4 years as well!...much smarter now!! :huh:

You and me both - as far as the college and being smarter part.:D Had dreams of being an architect. Oh well.:dunno: Hard to do that on only a HS education. Went back to school when I was in my 40's to help make up for it.

Also, I didn't intend to stereotype your generation...just Art himself. :D
No prob - no offense taken.

Rennie,

My father was an ex-Chief Boatswainmate.....He had done some serious boxing in the Navy and after receiving a medical discharge from the Navy in the late '40s he worked all of his adult life on oil rigs and in fact, died on the floor of an oil rig in 1972. He was a tough man and few people who knew him, didn't respect him. 36 years later I miss his sage advice. His stern discipline kept all 6 of his kids free and clean.:D

I noticed you didn't mention you were to young in the 70s, 80s or 90s...what, no comment? Or do you not recall those decades? :rofl::wave:

I turned 16 in 1980, so I think I get a pass on the 70's. :wave:

Never smoked anything, though. Unlike Ken it was my mom, not my dad. She was an early believer/convert to the dangers of smoking and taught all us kids the same. Not to mention that every time my Grandpa visited (about twice a year, due to distance) I could see what smoking was gradually doing to his health.

...art