Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So ... I'm SMRT.

So ... I'm SMRT.

Dang near got me a Darwin Award tonight...

The wife was helping me move the air compressor in place. A 60gal monster that weighs a good bit. Well, we went to lift on it and some of the prepared piping that I'd put on was in the way (regulator, valve, quick release, elbow, etc).

Well I had to empty the tank anyway to hook up the new drainage stuff, so I had her hang onto that overflow valve chain while I losened the plumbing we needed out of our way...

After a couple minutes of waiting ... we were down to just under 40psi. My stupit head said "Oh that ain't bad, i can just undo the rest of this..." ... well "this" was the 3/4" main bushing into the tank ... that's right, i was about to open up a full 1" diameter hole in a 60 gallon tank at 40psi.

Well ... it was only 40psi, right? HA!

WOOSHHHHHHHHH ... it sent me a few feet away, with about 3lbs of plumbing kit in my hands. I'm glad i was wearin' gloves ... the ice woulda hurt. Yeah.

It prolly wasn't good on the tank neither ... Glad it was 'only' 40psi and not the 100+ it started at.

So there ya go .. lemme have it ...
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Jason,

Glad you weren't hurt!

Try having 2 - 1" ramping probes in a supercon magnet that contains 1250 liters of Lhe (liquid helium). These two probes are "thermal shorts" that have to come out. The pressure in the magnet is at 8 psi. We are taught to not pull the probes over 1 psi. But the thermal shorts are causing the pressure to increase and just get worse. You have a 14" exhaust vent with a fan going to the outside. You are in a room on top the 9' tall magnet and the room has a 14' ceiling. You pull one probe and that 1" hole fills the upper 7' of the room with frosty, foggy, helium gas before you can get the cap on the hole. The cap ices due to the helium gas coming out and you can't get in on..so you ball up a towel and cover the hole and wait for the room to clear......defrost the cap with a heat gun and get it on.....and pull the other ramp probe. All this while breathing minimally as you really don't want a lot of helium in your lungs to displace the oxygen in your blood!

Hairy at least!
    Ken
    ------

Hard to explain that one to the doc, how you got a frozen chunk of pipe stuck in you eh

Play safe!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Glad to see you weren't hurt. I learned a healthy respect for compressed air not too long ago with a loose 5/8" diameter flex line at about 150 psi.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

darwin?...........stored energy...........whatta concept.
    glad you`re okay!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Jason,

Glad you weren't hurt!

Try having 2 - 1" ramping probes in a supercon magnet that contains 1250 liters of Lhe (liquid helium). These two probes are "thermal shorts" that have to come out. The pressure in the magnet is at 8 psi. We are taught to not pull the probes over 1 psi. But the thermal shorts are causing the pressure to increase and just get worse. You have a 14" exhaust vent with a fan going to the outside. You are in a room on top the 9' tall magnet and the room has a 14' ceiling. You pull one probe and that 1" hole fills the upper 7' of the room with frosty, foggy, helium gas before you can get the cap on the hole. The cap ices due to the helium gas coming out and you can't get in on..so you ball up a towel and cover the hole and wait for the room to clear......defrost the cap with a heat gun and get it on.....and pull the other ramp probe. All this while breathing minimally as you really don't want a lot of helium in your lungs to displace the oxygen in your blood!

Hairy at least!
    I think I'll stick to selling beer for a living
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I think I'll stick to selling beer for a living
    And not talking like a munchkin for a week!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    And not talking like a munchkin for a week!

Follow the yellow brick road!! Follow the yellow brick road!!!

I'm usually a stickler for "if it don't feel right, don't do it" ... but that question didn't even enter the though process at the time ... "Oh it's only 40psi, i can stop that with my thumb..." ... ha!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

I did the same with a 40 gallon tank. It's one of those things you only do once. That's generally how I've learned my best lessons. I've done many things that I look back after the fact and think that was stupid, but most I've only done once.

C'mon, why nobody is asking about your wife?? She could have been hurt as well...

Glad everything remained in something to tell and nothing else to both of you!
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...