Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I obsessed or possessed?

Am I obsessed or possessed?

At 01:30 hrs. this morning, 150 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico, on a floating drilling rig I was lying awake in my cabin contemplating a design for a turned vase! I sketched out the design on paper after I got done with my morning obligations and it looks great. I hope I can craft it the way I imagined it.

I've also got a blanket chest commission that I need to finish but this spinny stuff keeps interfering with my time. I can't seem to quit turning and thinking about turning.

I fear I may have finally succumbed to the vortex.
    Cody

Alas, poor Cody.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will. - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Happens most nights to me...sometimes while my wife is talking to me ....BTW try not to do that, she doesn't appreciate it!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I think it was Dave Barry who said, "There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness."

Uh.....Cody.....it's called the Vortex for a reason.....not many escape!

BTW...don't tell me you roughneck?
    Ken
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Uh.....Cody.....it's called the Vortex for a reason.....not many escape!

BTW...don't tell me you roughneck?
    Not any more. I've been a "Company Man" for about 27 years now.
    Cody

Face it Cody. You have slipped into the black hole of turning. The walls are slick and there is no way out. Sorry buddy.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I'm shocked Cody. Shocked, I say.

You design your pieces? I tend to just throw a piece of wood on the lathe and start cutting.

Yeppers, you done fell into the Vortex. That blanket chest is gonna be a hassle to build...I'm guessing you'll need to clear off your bowl blank drying table (a.k.a. table saw) in order to make it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

What's so odd is that I've had my lathe over three years now but never got so caught up in turning until lately. I'm even starting to get "mustard" fever.

Before, I would use turning as a change-of-pace between flat work projects. I guess the incubation period was just a bit longer for me, huh?

Vaughn, I've been thinking about this vase for a good while now but last night all the elements came together in my head. I just hope I can make it happen on and off the lathe. I've got a couple of different embellishments in mind.
    Cody

Cody - Welcome to the club!

Always enjoyed doing flatwork but when I started turning everything changed. Once I accepted the fact that right angles and flat edges were no longer the rule - it seems I became consumed with 'new' ideas of what I could make with wood. Used to be when I saw a board I appreciated the grain and thought of projects I could use it for. Now when I see a tree or log I envision what I can turn out of it! I like the fact that I can use green wood and not have to go to the borg to buy lumber.

Used to be that I would design all my flatwork projects on graph paper first, work out the details and then build. With turning it has gotten to the point that all I have to do is see the shape in my mind and get to work. Lots easier and lots more fun!

Have fun with your creative designs - the more you do - the easier it becomes! Looking forward to seeing the vase!
    Steve