turned box

hey all.
As i'm new to this forum,and don't do much lathe work,but am trying.
I thought i'd show ya a pic of my secound turned box. there is no way
i'm showing the first :) as it's been put in the wood stove.
It's made of holly and popular,with the popular being painted black.
All neg commets welcome.
Steve

Attachments

• 100_0752 (Large) (Small).jpg
    100_0752 (Large) (Small).jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_0753 (Large) (Small).jpg
    100_0753 (Large) (Small).jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 28
Welcome aboard, Steve. :wave: Nice-looking box, especially for your first one. (Or at least the first one that didn't down down in a blaze of glory.) Save it and you'll have fun looking back at it in a year or so.

Oh wait...you only said negative comments were welcome. :D I take that all back.

OK.......well......you could have finished painting the wall below the shelf. :p

Just kidding - you look like you're off to a good start.

Stephen welcome to the vortex. There is a lot of info on the web, and DVD's you can buy or rent. Thats how I learned, loved Bill Grumbines bowls made easy DVD. Great if you want to do bowls. I've watched some of Cindy D's demos on the web, great for boxes. I just started doing HF and was lucky to get a private 5 hour lesson with Wally Dickerman. Check to see if you have a local turning club, or at the local tool and wood stores for some one that could mentor you.
You did a great job on your box, keep up the good work...Bruce
PS don't trash your first works, because in a few months you can look at them and say what was I thinking? I'm sure you saw a huge difference between your first and second box, wait till you have 50 or a 100 under your belt. I keep my first bowl hidden in the corner, just as a reminder to keep improving. I don't know how many I've blown up on the lathe, trying something new. Or not watching my bevel and having a NASA type catch (sending the piece into orbit). Good luck, your on your way, very nice box.