Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blanket chest

Blanket chest

Looking to make a blanket chest. The loml has picked something off of a Brasilian furniture website. I can get enough info from the pictures on the website to build it.

My main concern is the joinery in the corners of the main box. I'm not sure what type of joint to use. It is going to be solid wood... prolly cherry. Any one have a suggestion on what type of joinery to use?

Also she wants it lined with cedar. Do you run the grain parrallel to the box? How is it attached to the main box and what thickness should I use for the cedar.

Any help would be appeciated

Doug

I believe that the very optimum way to run the cedar is to use a herringbone pattern made up of 4" lengths. And the cedar should be at least 2" thick.

At least that's what I've been told.

Seriously, I've seen chests posted here that have the cedar running both ways, one chest will be vertical and another will be horizontal. I think you can get prepackaged cedar closet lining kits that have the planks in 1/4" or 3/8" thicknesses(eseseses)

If you were to mill your own cedar I don't see why 1/4" material wouldn't work. You can pin it on with a 23ga pinner or you can glue it. That "no nails" glue that is advertised on TV would do the trick.

However, some of the "real" woodworkers here (as opposed to this hack) may have some different or better advice.

Can you post a pic of the chest that you intend to duplicate? I've got a bunch of material that is now dry and is itching to be made into something. I'd like to see your progress.
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

Im going to try and copy it as close as I can. I'm going to get some antique hinges and hasp and have a friend the finishes for a living to the finish. We are going to do an antique finish but no distressing. I was thinking either dovetails or boxes joints for the main corners....not sure what everybody else is doing for their corners.

Doug

Thanks Doug. That one is way above my pay grade though. I'll look for a simpler design.
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios View Post
    Thanks Doug. That one is way above my pay grade though. I'll look for a simpler design.
    Mark once you dissect it, to me, it doesn't look too complicated. I guess I'll find out. Basically a boxes with some moulding top and bottom.

Doug

If it's not paint by numbers then it's probably too much for me.
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

Doug,
    How about pinned box joints? I've also seen Pennsylvania blanket chests with rabbeted/cut nailed corners.

Looks like a cool project - keep us posted.

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Sinjem View Post
    Mark once you dissect it, to me, it doesn't look too complicated. I guess I'll find out. Basically a boxes with some moulding top and bottom.

Doug
    Hi Doug ,
    That will be a great project. I think your statement "basically a box with some moulding top and bottom" solves alot of the problem.

Aromatic cedar can be bought in tongue and groove pieces about 1/4" thick and as I remember about 2 1/2" wide, by the package.

Good choice of projects, look forward to your "How To" by Doug!
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

The Corner Joints

It's hard to be sure from the pictures of this chest, but I think it is made with simple butt joints. I think I see a butt joint seam in one of the views. Rather than doing butt joints, dove tails, or box joints, I suggest using either a locking rabbit or draw lock joint. Both are relatively strong and do not require a lot of detail work (dt's) or holding long pieces vertically and making multiple cuts (box joint). They are readily done on the ts or router table.

You are right when you describe it as just a box with molding.

Just my thoughts.

Dick