Thread: Carved draped table

Carved draped table

Hi guys.

I guess that as this project involves more carving than building should be posted here, if not I trust the moderator who kindly will move it to the right forum.

You may have seen this post of mine http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ead.php?t=9995 as I'm working on it and that was a question I thought I should start a new one here.

Well this was the first picture I posted, the end grain was bothering me and the wrinkles of the fabric didn't look right to me and still don't but I think I'm getting there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drap003.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	22204

I've been tweaking them as well as getting rid of the end grain by rebating the top with a router and leaving some material to carve the start of the wrinkles on the top.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drap001.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	22205

I've been working on the swash as well, but there's a lot to do still.
    So I just wanted to show you the evolution.

My plan is to get this quarter of the table almost finished to find out if I like it or not and then decide what to do; either make the other three of just give up on this design and try something else.

Thanks for looking, comments and suggestions are welcome as always.
    Last edited by Toni Ciuraneta; 07-13-2008 at 07:25 PM.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I really like the tweaks you've made Toni My vote would be to do the other three corners much the same. The design concept is great, in my opinion.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks Vaughn.

Your encouragement builds up my confidence but I'm still dubious, that swash is giving me a hard/fun time depending on my mood
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Toni,
    I really like what you have done so far. Wrapping the folds up onto the top really adds to the piece in my opinion. Not only is the end grain line masked, it gives additional depth and clarity to the draping. My arms are sore just looking at all the work involved!

Wes

PS My son (he's 6) and I had a geography lesson while viewing your piece. He noticed you lived in Spain. So he ran and got his globe so he could show me where Spain was on his globe, And I quizzed him on the bodies of water bordering Spain etc.

Toni,

I'm just blown away by your work. That is just too cool. Very impressive. I, too, think the other three should be similar to the first.

Keep up the good work.
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

That is great work Tony! It's evolving into a masterpiece. IMHO there is no way you should abandon that piece. Most of the things I make don't end up the way I envisioned when I started, I'm either fixing mistakes or getting a better ideas along the way. Take it as a learning experience and enjoy the journey.