Thread: My Second Bowl

My Second Bowl

I was gone for 5 days over the 4th of July out of town about 2000 miles away in western Oregon and Washington. I stopped by Gilmer Wood Co. in Portland. What a wonderland of wood. I spent about 2 hours just digging through all of the stuff they have. I came home with a bunch of pen blanks and a couple of small bowl blanks. This is all that would fit in my luggage. They are super nice people and I look forward to getting more treasures from them in the future.

Here is the second bowl that I have done. I started thursday afternoon and got a chance to finish it last night. It is a piece of Big Leaf Curly, Quilted, Birds Eye, Maple from Oregon. The other wood is a piece of eucalyptus that I picked up out of the scrap bin in my local woodcraft. I was looking for a contrasting wood for the foot and a rim to go with the maple.

I left the bottom of the bowl a little thicker so I could attach the foot with a tenon. The sides are about 1/8" maybe a little less. I did find out that the end grain in the big leaf can be a bit of A challenge especially for a Newbe. The finish is just sanding to 2000 grit and then 3 coats of Watco burnished with a cloth into the wood. The dimensions of the bowl is right at 5" wide x 3.5 inches tall.

Again sorry for my poor photography skills/equipment. When I get the time and money I will make improvements on both. Right now just concentrating on the turning.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Alan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bowl 2 pic 3.jpg   bowl 2 pic 4.jpg   bowl 2 pic 1.jpg   bowl 2 pic 2.jpg   bowl 2 pic 5.jpg  

Last edited by Alan Trout; 07-13-2008 at 10:09 PM.

wow, for a second, or 22nd bowl, very,very nice. I like the contrasting woods, with lots of figure to gawk at. I too sand to 2000 (I don't get out much) Probably overkill, but I like the feel of it.

Alan,

Nice job on the bowl. I love the figure of the wood you chose. It all really works well together. Do you have any before pictures of the maple you used? I'd find it interesting to compare the before and after.

Thanks,
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

That is a very interesting piece. You have a very 'artsy' look.

Lee, the blank was a rough sawn blank but you could see the quilting and the small areas of birds eye. I know it would be nice when I picked it. I guess I will start taking before pics. Thanks to everyone for the positive comments.

Thanks,

Alan

Great job, Alan. The contrast is nice, the maple is gorgeous, and I like the simple, modern form. Your curves look very consistent, too. Well done.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Alan: Like the look of the bowl, both woods look great together the clean form of the bowl is a very nice