Thread: Ebonized Oak Bowl

DSM, IA

Ebonized Oak Bowl

I put some steel wool into a plastic coffee can with some vinegar about 12 months ago. Noticed last week the steel wool is gone....I kinda forgot about it other that a couple of test pieces this winter. It froze and thawed quite a few times. It turned the oak jet black in about 2 seconds.

The bowl is 7" round and about 4" high. Another thicker one, but no cracks yet, finished 1 week ago. Thickness is uniform on sides and bottom about 1". I think a gloss poly or laquer finish on the un-ebonized rim will make it pop more, what do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20080710_0024.JPG   20080710_0025.JPG   20080710_0027.JPG  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Goodland, Kansas
    That is a beauty Jeff. I really like the form and how you left the rim. Looks mighty good to me.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

ABQ NM
    Very cool, Jeff. I think the ebonizing adds a nice touch, too. To be perfectly honest, I think I'd like it better without the inclusion...I think the symmetry would better accentuate the thickness of the walls. But sometimes ya takes what ya gets.

I've done a bowl with a matte finish and a glossy rim, and I liked it. I think your idea for glossing up the rim would work.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Des Moines, IA
    Nicely done, Jeff. I am going to have to try a thick bowl myself.

Cornwall, England
    Nice one. I like thick bowls. Something really solid and substantial about them. Alsoless work digging out the guts

I haven't yet tried the wire & vinegar trick, looks really effective. Is it only oak it works on or are there any other woods that are used?