Question for a GSU user

Dave Richards

Would one of you guys using GSU try a few things and report your findings to me? There are some slight differences between SU5Pro (which is what I use) and GSU. In an effort to do a better job at easing frustrations for some of the new users, it would help if I knew a few more things.

First, draw something. It doesn't matter what. A box is fine. Dimensions don't matter. Select geometry and:

1. Get the Move tool. Hit the Ctrl key but don't hold it. What happens to the cursor? You should get a + symbol when the Ctrl key is pressed. Does it remain after you let go? Does it go away if you tap the Ctrl key again?

2. Get the Rotate tool and do the same.

Now get the Tape Measure tool. Press and release the Ctrl key. Click on an edge of the box and drag away from that edge. Click the mouse a second time. Do you end up with a construction line?

Repeat that but hold the Ctrl key before clicking with the mouse and hold it until you click the second time. Is the behavior different?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Would one of you guys using GSU try a few things and report your findings to me? There are some slight differences between SU5Pro (which is what I use) and GSU. In an effort to do a better job at easing frustrations for some of the new users, it would help if I knew a few more things.

First, draw something. It doesn't matter what. A box is fine. Dimensions don't matter. Select geometry and:

1. Get the Move tool. Hit the Ctrl key but don't hold it. What happens to the cursor? You should get a + symbol when the Ctrl key is pressed. Does it remain after you let go? Does it go away if you tap the Ctrl key again?

2. Get the Rotate tool and do the same.

Now get the Tape Measure tool. Press and release the Ctrl key. Click on an edge of the box and drag away from that edge. Click the mouse a second time. Do you end up with a construction line?

Repeat that but hold the Ctrl key before clicking with the mouse and hold it until you click the second time. Is the behavior different?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
1. Nope...the plus sign is displayed only when holding the <Ctrl> key.

2. With the Rotate tool, the plus sign stays on after releasing the <Ctrl> key. Pressing <Ctrl> again toggles the option.

3. I get a construction line either way...press and release <Ctrl>, or holding it down.

In the process of doing this, I discovered the plus sign, and see (at lease some of) what it's telling me.

HTH -

- Vaughn

Dave
For #1 and #2 The + remains after letting go of cntrl and toggles off and on each time cntrl is tapped

Yes on the first constuction line question and no change of behavior on the second.

The way I've used construc lines has been to grab tape measure, mouse click on the line then tap cntrl then move and click mouse second time.
Dan

Wait a minute. You two got different results for number one. Is that right? Well then, I need one more bit of info if you will. Could you give me the version number? You should be able to find it under the Help menu in an About sort of entry.

Thanks for the info guys.

Dave
It says I got 5.0.295. When it searches for latest version it says I got it. The blue bar at the top of the window says Google SketchUp(beta)

Alright gang, it looks to me as if Google changed the operation for the Move/Copytool or at least the Copy part of it. So, with the latest version, if you want to make a copy of a component, Select the component, select the Move/Copy tool, press and release Ctrl to toggle the + sign on. This makes it a Copy tool. Click on the component where you want to hold it and move the copy as desired. The same applies for the Rotate/Copy tool.

Vaughn, I'm glad you discovered the + sign. I'm sorry that I didn't explain it to you before. It is a very valuable tool.

In case you haven't noticed it, when you select a tool, modifier keys if any are listed on the lower left part of the border, opposite the VCB.

I think it would be helpful to me if folks who are on older versions of SU could update to the latest version. Then key strokes will be the same and I'll have a little easier time teaching.

Thanks for checking that stuff out Dan.