Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: full platform bed, simple made

full platform bed, simple made

I need some simple design for a full size bed, platform style, and a coffee table is easy enough.
    My daughter is renting an apt next month in buffalo, doesnt have a bed, and asked me if Id make her one for herfull size mattress.
    She wants it high, figured Id use MDF for the platform, and oak ply for the sides and supports. I will build 3 boxes, 18 icnhs high, widgth accordging to mattress size, put a few door on them, for storage, and just screw the mdf ontoo of the ply edges. Platform bed, any better suggestions.
    not something I wanted to get started on now, but it will have to be soon.

My suggestion is plywood, not mdf.

I know it'd cost more, but I think your back would thank you when it comes time to move it.

Also, if you screw some cleats to the bottom of the platform, then you can just drop it on top of the boxes and it will "lock" into place. No need for screwing it down.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

I'd also use ply for the platform. I built a desk under mine (college days) to provide double duty of the limited space.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I sleep on a platform bed I cobbled together. I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I threw it together a couple of years ago, intending to build a nicer face for it, but never have. Mine is simply 2x4's kreg'd together in three rectangles , with connectors so they won't spread apart. I put a sheet down one side for triangulation and two sheets of 3/4 cdx on top of that. Our house is tiny for how many people we've got crammed into it, so there are storage bins underneath it.
    Makes for a nice knee grabber every now and then as it is just about that height as I painfully discovered this weekend when I crawled into bed. Yep I hit my sore knee squarely on the edge of the ply. Sorry honey, didn't mean to wake you ...

Absolutely no pics, but trust me it did happen.

A better bed is on my short list once the shop gets dried in, since I'm putting the bins that are under there out in the shop...
    -Ned

I am just finishing up two platform beds. They have four drawers on each side and will hold a ton of storage. Will post pics tommrow.

please show inside structure if possible.

moving on now that I finished my cabinet, I have to get started shortly on the platform bed, so all my projects are finished and I can get started on my ipe furniture project.

This is where Im at with it. I was going to use maple ply and trim it all around with a small amount of cherry, since it just sounded great and similar to my bedroom set.
    Nothing fancy, but then I was told that its not coming back home, my kid just needs a platform to put a matress on. 4 cinderblocks and a piece of wood basically, since drawers are not necessary, and after one year it isnt coming back.
    so Im making another box, a big box, with a frame, and 4 walls.
    Do I use particle board, or mdf? I think Ill roll 2 coats of paint over the board to give it something, but which is the better choice. Cost is now the biggest concern.
    It will be made in 2 sections for transport, and hopefully one 53 inch wide top with small boarder, poplar.
    The inside frames will only be sheeted over on 3 sides each, the two centers will simply be bolted or screwed together, board thrown on top.

Allen,

Sounds like entirely too much trouble. Try this: get yourself some #2 pine 2x12s. Cut them to make a box so that the box springs just barely fit inside. Get some 1x2s, Glue and screw them all around the inside, about an inch from the top. Add paint, and you've got a bed. If you want to get picky, add some 1x4s as lateral slats. Easy, quick, and simple. I made a bed like that before I had a shop, or even anything more than a circular saw. We're still sleeping on it. Didn't even use joinery on the ends, just got some metal corner braces out of the joist hanger bins.

Best of all: you can make it, take it apart, and all she'll need is a screwdriver to set it up when she gets there. Easy transport, easy set up, what could be better?

Thanks,

Bill

interested idea, although she wants it at least 18" high. No box spring, just matress, so I need a platform.

Alan, I've got a very simple painted particle board platform that's been under my waterbed for decades. When I get a few minutes later this evening, I'll sketch it up for you. You could probably build it in less than an hour.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com