full platform bed, simple made

looks great from here Allen. The X bracing (at least to my poor befuddled mind) is only required if you're using stick goods, not sheet goods. Much like OSB serves to replace that funky diagaonal which used to be let in to framing a house, sheet goods make their own triangles. My bed has a sheet of 3/4 CDX along the 'back' side nearest the wall, the front side is simple 2x4's however, and needs a little help. Cant' wait to see the finished product, even if it is 'red'.

I have almost a full sheet of that particle board, and it slides too well on the tables saw. Is 3/4 too thick to make a few sleds out of, mainly one for tenons, and one for some cross cutting.(I have half gallon of red paint left over from her bedroom, so that will be it, will show a pic tomorrow.)

Ahhhhhhh. An example of the truism, form follows function. But, really, 1,000 lbs? You told us in an earlier thread she weighed just over 100.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

yeah, I actually just spoke to her, and she was asking me why I builta bed for that kind of weight, so I told her when she leaves, she might want to give it away to a family of 6.

I dont think shes going to be able to give it away so easily next year.

What a girlie girlie color.

(what daddy would dip the bolt heads. Thats love)

Attachments

• wood stuff 017 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 017 (Medium).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 28
  • wood stuff 018 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 018 (Medium).jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 28
not really sure if Mr. Bulken wants to see the finished product,:huh:
but, its a very bulky product, hard for one person to handle, not comfortable for me, and Im glad its about over.
I wanted a frame around the platform, so I cut out a dado in a 2.5 inch piece of poplar, and attached it using cleats on the underside.Rounded over both edges on top, one on the bottom, so no sharp edges ever.
I then used cleats to guide the platform onto the frame, so theres zero guess work. Just slide each half of the platform on until it sits with the cleats inside the frame, very simple, very easy. (its very heavy though)
I did pass one screw through each cleat holding middle of frame, probably unnecessary, but now a hurricane wont destroy the frame.
I also didnt have any thick stock of poplar to make a nice round edge on one side that will opposite wall, but I cut in a 45 degree end piece, and filled it all in with filler, when it drys, Ill sand a beautiful round edge.
Heres some pics of the cleats. Im not saying this is more than bed making 101, but its strong, sufficient, and puts together simply, instructions written on each piece in marker so who ever gets the bed next year, can assemble it in 15 minutes.(I will have to paint the frame when I finish sanding it.)

It really is becoming frustrating when I build things. I dont worry about my skill level, figuring eventually Ill catch on, but I do realize lack of equipment, or decent equipment puts a damper on things.
Its impossible to rout over an edge on a piece of 2 inchs, and its becoming evident besides the router table, Im going to have to get a bandsaw eventually.(the last picture is how I created a curved end without actually cutting any curves, a bit more sanding is needed)

Attachments

• wood stuff 023 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 023 (Medium).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 11
  • wood stuff 024 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 024 (Medium).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 11
  • wood stuff 025 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 025 (Medium).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 10
  • wood stuff 027 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 027 (Medium).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 19
  • wood stuff 026 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 026 (Medium).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 13
  • wood stuff 028 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 028 (Medium).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 16
  • wood stuff 030 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 030 (Medium).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 28
  • wood stuff 031 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 031 (Medium).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
not really sure if Mr. Bulken wants to see the finished
It really is becoming frustrating when I build things. I dont worry about my skill level, figuring eventually Ill catch on, but I do realize lack of equipment, or decent equipment puts a damper on things.
Its impossible to rout over an edge on a piece of 2 inchs, and its becoming evident besides the router table, Im going to have to get a bandsaw eventually.(the last picture is how I created a curved end without actually cutting any curves, a bit more sanding is needed)

Allen,
I Always want to see folks finished products. My bed is pure function, and I definitely feel your pain, re not having the proper tool etc... That's why I've been doing the shop project, because I dont' have 90% of my tools at my disposal right now!

Great job, I especially like that you put the directions On the piece itself, which will help with assembly/disassembly down the road. Way to go!:thumb::thumb:

Allen,
The bed looks great! I'm sure it will be up to the task - and it makes her happy which is all that really counts.

Wes

what a daddy...hehehe......builds it, paints it, and delivers it 500 miles to put a smile on his daughters face.

The platform made it up one narrow flight of stairs with my back and my daughters strength. No men around when I need them.
(a Female neighbor was more than willing to help, but I feared if she slipped, well, no great loss if I fall)

it might take the kid a year to clean up the rest of the mess.)

the platform only took one huge hit and gouged out a nice cut on one wall, my fault for not taking it apart and carrying it up piece by piece the way intended. (Touch up paint will have to do the trick)

Glad I didnt use any expensive plys or hardware on this, it suited its purpose and was comfortable with the thick mattress on it.

Attachments

• wood stuff 043 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 043 (Medium).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: