I spent the evening turning some walnut bowls. I got this chunk from a guy whom I cut up large log butts for. He heats his moulding factory with the butts from large logs. Anyway I was turning these butts into 'cookies' so he could fit them in his furnace and spotted this walnut piece that was where 2 limbs grew together. the area between the limbs was all crazy grained. I scribed out a 13" x 11" deep blank that included half of each limb and the cool grain in between. I got 2 small blanks from the off-cuts. (6" dia.)They turned easy and went into the alcohol soak. I then chucked up the big piece and with great trepidation fired up the lathe. I have a grizzly 1067Z and it was almost all that lathe can handle. I first had to make a new extension for my tool rest because the cheap casted rest that came with the lathe broke off some time ago. I did manage to true up the bowl and got it ready to chuck up.
This big bowl is being turned end grain and every time I would start a pass the variable speed lever would advance by itself. I kept reaching over to attempt to slow tha bugger down before launch. I finaly tied the lever down , but not before the chuck came loose from the adaptor nut. I find that it will be a long slow process to get the thing hollowed out. All the while I was having visions of the mustard machine I once ran......someday......someday