Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TV Console *"FINSHED"*

TV Console *"FINSHED"*

With Wren finished and another secret kayak in the planning stages, I am to finally start on the TV Console. I have talked about this for a year now I guess. Finally bought the new TV and had no place to put it. So we did it Redneck style, it sits on top of the old Console TV.

I picked up the Cherry from my now deceased neighbor, Chuck had given me before he passed on. It's been sitting in his barn. That wood is special to me so I have been saving it for something special for the house. He had about 125 to 150 Bd Ft. of Black Cherry/Choke Cherry laying around. I tried to talk him out of it but he had plans for it in building a shed or something. Latter on he decided to give it me, then shortly after that he discovered his illness. So I promised him it would be used for something special.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TV_stand.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	22233

Like all of house it is very Arts and Crafts flavor. Going to be a lot of mortises on this one so I am getting the Mortiser I bought finished up and fine tuned. Expect to use it a lot on this project.

There are a few small details on this piece that won't show that much but will make the piece. Like the stiles in the door and end panel are slightly recessed. I want to do mortise and tennon frames, a first for me. So I am looking forward to this one. Should some what of a challenge. At the very least I am going to have to learn some new skills and tricks.
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 12-19-2008 at 11:29 PM.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

I like it Jeff. Something like this is on my list to do "eventually" when we finally break down and spend the money on an LCD TV. Its amazing how much the "entertainment center" has changed in the past couple years. The old giant cabinets are virtually gone and have been replaced by either somehting like this or a system which puts cabinets/shelves on either side of the TV, below the TV, and maybe a bridge over the top.

How much do you have in the way of electronics to go with? It looks like you reserved space for two boxes?

Okay, so since this is in the Flatwork Showcase forum, and not the Design forum, does that mean we can't critique the design?

With the door wide open in the drawing, the middle horizontal piece really stands out, as the sides don't have it. I think I'd also experiment in sketchup with a thicker front on that shelf, to make it look more substantial? Just curious. Oh, and I wonder about a crosspiece under the top crossing over the opening. it looks kind of thin there right now from this angle.

Are you going to pin the tenons with contrasting dowels? (I like to do that in my pieces, I like the look)

It looks like fun, keep us posted!
    ...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I like it Jeff. Something like this is on my list to do "eventually" when we finally break down and spend the money on an LCD TV.
    Ditto! Love the design - can't wait to start seeing the construction pictures.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Jeff that will look great. I have attached a pic. of one that I found on a site , I don't remember where, That a lady made for her husband and it is somewhat like your design. I thought it was an outstanding piece and she did a fantastic job on it. I especially like the finish that she achieved, and I have wondered how she did it.
    Chuck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Media cab. Resized.jpg  

Good luck on this Jeff! I know it will be a very special piece to you; I like your design.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

For a minute I thought you were gonna say you used the old plank and cinder block trick to hold the new TV.

Looks like a great design. Cherish the time working with that special wood.
    Jerry

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

"If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."
    Bob "Phydeaux" Stewart one day on Woodnet

I'm a great fan of Arts & Crafts, and your design is a fine example of it. Look forward to seeing the progress of your new project. If you want practice of all that jointery, try making one out of quarter sawn red oak, same deminsions are ok, and I have a just the place for it .

Good luck and after seeing your wren, this will be a great piece.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    How much do you have in the way of electronics to go with? It looks like you reserved space for two boxes?
    That is my one concern. I have been thinking about making that shelf removable just in case. We only have a thin DVD player now that we have the new TV. MIGHT add a good sound system but that should be it. Most likely this will all we need for a long time. And I could put another component in one of the ends. Just open the door when we use it so the remote works. Not ideal but we don't watch that many DVD or tapes. So it could work without a lot of aggravation.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    With the door wide open in the drawing, the middle horizontal piece really stands out, as the sides don't have it. I think I'd also experiment in sketchup with a thicker front on that shelf, to make it look more substantial? ......Oh, and I wonder about a crosspiece under the top crossing over the opening. it looks kind of thin there right now from this angle.
    Art, had cross pieces and then I saw something very similar to this and like it much better. Plus this will match the trim in the house. We have some with and without cross bars. So that was a concious choice.

I have built the wife some laundry cabinets with 3/4" or so shelves like this and they look good. Now I might get this on the bench and change it when I see it. I have done that before, but I think the thin shelves are going to stay unless it looks a lot different in 'person'

The piece in the middle is worth looking into. Had not thought about that. I will try it as a dry fit it and see what it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hans View Post
    Jeff that will look great. I have attached a pic. of one that I found on a site , I don't remember where, That a lady made for her husband and it is somewhat like your design.
    Chuck, thats the look/design I was aiming for. Very much like what I have in mind. I am using cherry, not oak but I like that piece, just not much of an oak fan. But the overall feel of that is very similar to our house.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    Just open the door when we use it so the remote works.
    No need to open the doors Jeff:

Rockler Hidden Link

SmartHome