Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Commissioned! Uh Oh, now I've done it!

Commissioned! Uh Oh, now I've done it!

Well, like many of us hobbyists, I've dreamed of actually selling something I've built rather than give it away to friends or relatives. For me that day has finally come... and I'm scared to death!

A visiting pastor to our church more than a year ago loved the furniture I built for our chancel and contacted me asking for a quote to build new chancel furniture for his church. A couple of estimates later, and a lot of waiting, I received word that they want me to send them a contract and begin work - with a delivery date 3 months from now. Ooops. For some reason I never thought they would go through with it! Now what'll I do!

May I assume that I can depend on all of you for guidance when I run into problems that have me stumped? Good! Here's the first problem.

Here are the designs that they have provided.
    Scan001.PDF Scan002.PDF Scan003.PDF
    In looking at these, and knowing I have to deliver them several hundred miles away, I'm thinking I can make good use of torsion boxes and build it to be easily disassembled. This will allow me to fit the entire set in one pick-up truck load and keep the weight down. Sound like a good idea?

BTW, flat sawn white oak and white oak ply are the materials of choice and I'm not applying a finish - they want to do that themselves.

Now, can I do this and the new floor?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Now, can I do this and the new floor?
    First Congrats Rennie!! That is great!

I can't help with the "how to's" on the build, but I think your new floor might become a thread similar to Ned's shop build!

Good Luck!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    ..... I think your new floor might become a thread similar to Ned's shop build!
    Now that's just plain cruel.

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Rennie
    My advice it to make these as completed pieces and ready to install then rent a small trailer if needed to deliver, everything will go much smoother and the job will look more custom than you can do as a Knock down. I once made a display counter for a beauty salon that was 12' long 6 1/2' tall and 30" wide and had to install it 350 miles away the only part of the job that did not go well we the pieces that had to be assembled. The counter was all one piece and everything went well with it after that I made everything in the shop as a finished piece and never had another problem.

By the way nice score looks like a fun project.

Jay

Fantastic Rennie! I have a sane envy of you.

Count with me for whatever I can help within my short experience.

I've seen the drawings and you should be able to make everything without any problem at all.

My first advice: follow the KISS rule.

Second: Beware with the recessed light! some of them, specially halogen ones get very hot and they could put your piece on fire. Provide easy access and very good ventilation otherwise they can make the wood smell to burning even if it doesn't catch fire.
    As wether they are going to put a microphone or not, if yes think about where the wire is going to pass through.

The dove may be tricky, depending on how much detail they want on it. Think about making a stylized one,look for pics of real ones, and of figures of them, if not get a plastic one that may fit and just copy it in wood.

Sorry Rennie I just got carried away, It's been as if it was me the one got the comission, I'm sure you've also thought about those things already.

And last but not least, make sure you make a right quotation do not underestimate you and your capabilities.
    Last edited by Toni Ciuraneta; 07-15-2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: More things to say
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I agree with the trailer or truck vs. knockdown.
    Make sure all pieces can get through the doors.
    I also agree about lighting, maybe think LED.

Oh, and, Beautiful Designs!

The PDFs wouldn't open for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    The PDFs wouldn't open for me.
    Sent you an email

www.wrworkshop.com

Rennie,
    First off Congrats on the commission. Let the Big guy handle the stress on this one ok? You can do this, and you wouldn't have been tapped to do it if you couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    First Congrats Rennie!! That is great!

I can't help with the "how to's" on the build, but I think your new floor might become a thread similar to Ned's shop build!

Good Luck!
    I both admire and take mild offense at that... (very mild, I'm laughing my head off here)

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Now that's just plain cruel.

It wasnt cruel... it might have bordered on it if I had said it however.
    -Ned

I don't think any of that's beyond your capabilities Rennie! Congrats on the commission! I would also recommend delivering them complete. What is the expectation for the dove? Are they supplying it or are you carving it???